Experienced courier, but green at expediting.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Totally Agree Roadeyes!!

My carrier never advertises. All word of mouth, and a waiting list for drivers wanting to come on board...But ya gotta be a T/T driver.

I'm ready to downsize, not because I am unhappy with my carrier as much as I am frustrated with the industry....but when I see what expediters make...it is eye opening, I really thought it was alot more!
WAS is right . It was a lot more . Then the economy hit the skids and carriers went to charging ltl rates to keep trucks moving .

Brisco

Expert Expediter
WAS is right . It was a lot more . Then the economy hit the skids and carriers went to charging ltl rates to keep trucks moving .

And that's why I'm at odds with my thoughts on why some are still running so-called "Expedite" freight at LTL rates.

LTL - Less Than Truckload Shipping Definition for the Freight Industry presented by Apparel Search 

I bet a bunch of you "D & E" unit owners out there could possibly make twice as much as you are now running true "LTL" freight over sitting and waiting for "Expedited" freight at LTL rates.

Get your own authority, find a few good trustworthy brokers, learn how to work the loadboards in a timely manner, and I don't see why some of you can't bring in $3-$4 or more a mile running decent hours while putting in your full 11/14 HOS everyday. But......ya know..........

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
And that's why I'm at odds with my thoughts on why some are still running so-called "Expedite" freight at LTL rates.

LTL - Less Than Truckload Shipping Definition for the Freight Industry presented by Apparel Search*

I bet a bunch of you "D & E" unit owners out there could possibly make twice as much as you are now running true "LTL" freight over sitting and waiting for "Expedited" freight at LTL rates.

Get your own authority, find a few good trustworthy brokers, learn how to work the loadboards in a timely manner, and I don't see why some of you can't bring in $3-$4 or more a mile running decent hours while putting in your full 11/14 HOS everyday. But......ya know..........

You don't think this is already being done???...BUT who needs the brokers at all, and load boards all the time, ever hear of CUSTOMERS??? :rolleyes:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
BUT who needs the brokers at all, and load boards all the time, ever hear of CUSTOMERS??? :rolleyes:

Well........Duh..............:rolleyes:

But....having your own Customers usually means 1-way freight from that customer.

Guess you have the mindset that when one is running under their own authority, that their "CUSTOMER" base is going to keep them loaded with a load out of each and every city they deliver to for that customer. IE - as in running as an Expediter for FDCC, PII, Bolt, and so on.

Doesn't work like that..........

While a good customer base is very very beneficial to one running under their own authority, unless they charge, and the customer agrees to, round trip rates/billing, then that business owner needs the load boards and few good brokers to keep that truck loaded as much as possible.

You're Weclome for the quick lesson on "Trucking". :rolleyes:

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
LOL....you write as though I fell off the turnip truck just yesterday. And all I have done in my life is hold a wheel:rolleyes: ............................................................................EDIT...............................yes it is true.

Oh and yes............EDIT....................................................................many are round trips or the pay is such.....................EDIT....................................... ....yes, it is true again.:D ....................EDIT.................
Or Ya load at A to B and B loads ya to C and C to D and than Loaded back towards A.
Might be hard to phantom, but ...............................................................................................EDIT....................but I'm not talking two bins of cheap auto parts......................................................................................................EDIT..........................but than, auto is such a small fraction of business for some, yet others live and die with it.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
lol. Oh I know. I was just using them as a reference.
But yeah, what I'm looking for is a company in the Georgia area (or surrounding states) that does the following:

- No cost training*
- No "we own you" mentality
- No seriously-wtf?! type deliveries
- Not gone for a week at a time. A couple of days away from home is ok, I'm just not a nomad lol.
- Decent, respectable pay. I don't want to feel like I'm back working for the big D delivering pizza.

And yeah, I know I definitely have a bit of reading to do. I call this the Homework phase. :D
I will tell you like I've told want a be truckers over the last 40+ years. If that's what your looking for, quit while your ahead. This is not a part time job, this is a way of life. You love it or get out of it before you have a heart attack.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Just a quick hello to all. I have been out of Expediting for the last couple of years and will be back Jan 1. I have retired (ha) and now got a van to site see in (ha ha). To the gentleman who about making money in expediting. If you can start with no truck payments, a years insurance paid and a few bucks in the bank to buy fuel (gotta have that you know). Been reading the website since 2003 so now it's time to get back at it. Now to find old friends I have lost contact with. Thanks everyone and have a great Thanksgiving. They still call me the "Goose".

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Well I did the year contract and survived it. All tuition waved. I think only 2 other people from my class managed to do that though.

This method can work out well or it can be a disaster. I do think I was lucky to get a decent company trainer.

Anyone thinking about trying this should really think about what they're getting into with both the training, contract, and being out on the road so much.