Expenses for B Unit

rgoveia

Expert Expediter
Hello, My name is Bob Goveia from Decatur, IL and have been searching this site for 2 years now. I have wanted to get into a b unit since the job I have had for the last 15 years has been maintaining fueling systems in c- stores and truckstops and talked to many drivers. I feel that driving and hauling freight is what I want to do. I recently went to cdl-a training and have my cdl with haz-mat. I don't want to drive big rigs because of hos and the problem of finding parking for them. I have been waiting for the economy to pick up before I made the decision to change careers but I think maybe now is the time to make a move. I was wondering if you owner operators could give me a close amount of monthly fixed and varible expenses on a B unit is. I will buy a new van and was wondering mostly what total insurance premiums I will need to consider. I have a perfect driving record and perfect credit. I know that some of you are going to tell me to go open a hot dog stand instead of expediting but this is something I have been planning for some time now and want to make a go of it. I am 53 yrs. old and single with all the kids raised and on their own. My home fixed expenses are covered by a small pension from the laborers union and initially I will need to make enough to cover equipment,insurance,road expenses,fuel,QC, and of course there is the IRS and self employment tax ect. to consider. Any constructive help or critisizm would be highly appreciated. I forgoot to mention that I'm half portuguese and it's in our blood to travel and explore.