Expediting Questions

djidok

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
So to start out I currently drive wrecker and I have no intention to get into expediting if I dont have to, I love my job and would like to do it for the rest of my life, HOWEVER. apparently im a big fatty and eat too much so now i have diabetes and D.O.T has a problem with that. it seems as if i have everything under control but it made me look into other options

Ive been looking into getting into expediting with either a Ford Transit or a Freightliner sprinter, my big question is how much does a skid weigh? i understand that you normally aim for 2 or 3 skids per load. How much do these vans weigh unloaded? What kind of mileage rates can I aim for. ive seen guys doing .45 but that seems way too low, like eat ramen and still not pay bills low, and i dont have much in the way of bills. and ive seen other guys get .80 and guys ive met in person have said some runs make them 1k to 3k at around 600 to 1000 miles which would be over 1 dollar a mile.

ive figured that if i were to get into this buying a new van and insurance and what not i would need to make at LEAST 60 dollars a day before fuel to break even. so reasonably i would want to make double that or more. is that reasonable or not?

schwanman

Expert Expediter
So to start out I currently drive wrecker and I have no intention to get into expediting if I dont have to, I love my job and would like to do it for the rest of my life, HOWEVER. apparently im a big fatty and eat too much so now i have diabetes and D.O.T has a problem with that. it seems as if i have everything under control but it made me look into other options

Ive been looking into getting into expediting with either a Ford Transit or a Freightliner sprinter, my big question is how much does a skid weigh? i understand that you normally aim for 2 or 3 skids per load. How much do these vans weigh unloaded? What kind of mileage rates can I aim for. ive seen guys doing .45 but that seems way too low, like eat ramen and still not pay bills low, and i dont have much in the way of bills. and ive seen other guys get .80 and guys ive met in person have said some runs make them 1k to 3k at around 600 to 1000 miles which would be over 1 dollar a mile.

ive figured that if i were to get into this buying a new van and insurance and what not i would need to make at LEAST 60 dollars a day before fuel to break even. so reasonably i would want to make double that or more. is that reasonable or not?
Your health is #1 priority!

Reactions: RoadTime