Expediting or Courier

newthead

Expert Expediter
OK, here's my situation: I am an IC for a local courier here in Portland OR. I currently make 1400.00/mo gross (sometimes up to 1600.00/mo). I use about 260.00 in gas per mo. I also work a second job that I net about 800.00/mo. on. I LOVE to drive and am single. Would driving a van or C unit in expediting be a step up for me? Would I make more money(provided I stay out extended time and go where the freight is)?

FRANK C

Expert Expediter
I DON'T THINK THAT A VAN WILL MAKE YOU ANY MONEY, AND A C UNIT FREIGHT ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT. LOOK INTO A D UNIT FOR MAKING MONEY, OR EVEN BETTER WOULD BE A T/T. BUT I WOULD LOOK TO DRIVE FOR SOMEONE FIRST BEFORE INVESTING ANY MONEY ON EQUIPMENT

newthead

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have also been thinking of getting my class B CDL and going for a D unit. I would ABSOLUTELY drive for someone else first before going out and spending money on a rig.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am curious why you say that a person can't make any money with a C unit. The only C units I have seen sitting were those trying to get some sleep. We get all the work we can handle when we go out.

Vernon

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
check and see if egl is in your area and check with them
go to there web site and see if you are close to a station

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You beat me to the punch Hawk!x(
That was my thought exactly. Geeee!!!!:'( :'( :'( I send a good 9000 a year YA!!! THOUSAND!!! about 5 or 6 hundred a month and that is only for 1 van. That was with the gas @ $1.20 a gal.

newthead

Expert Expediter
OK, right NOW, it's up to 300.00+ per month....In drive a Ford Taurus...small package stuff.(270mi/day) I don't need anything bigger for what I do now. Hey, I'll pay more for gas if I can make more money period!
I can buy regular unld. for $1.46 in Vancouver, WA!

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
If you are making that can of money in a car I think you should stay there and with that type of gas bill you are doing good. Hawk

Brandy

Expert Expediter
I grossed over 40 grand in five months last year and I still had 7 months to go before the year was up. Listen your young, I can tell you want to make money and be able to enjoy it right? Your short changing your self working that boring deliver job, doing expediting will make you alot of money fast, and you'll be doing what you will soon come to love and won't want to do anything different. With some of these Carriers you can take off how ever many days and weeks and still comeback to work working at your own pace. Dude if you don't make dam near 100k your first year after owning your own truck driving solo, then something is wrong.

Sean

newthead

Expert Expediter
Really Brandy? What do you drive? I also would be interested in driving a D unit if that is what it takes(Living in Portland, OR that would be MOST likely)Thanks for your view.

Sean (also)