** Expediter definitions... Forum responsibilities

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
I have in no uncertain terms, made it known that I, and many other professionals on this forum have a problem with some of the advice given in this and other forums.

Perhaps it is time some terminology regarding our industry...

I cannot and do not respond to questions that I am not qualified to answer, but many do.

I post questions and listen to those qualified to give the information.

For example I posted a thread *** Class 8's - Fuel Economy *** I heard from some real pro’s who own Class 8 trucks, as well as other pro’s owning Class 7 trucks and saw very good arguments for both. How do I know these guys are pro’s? Because they stated what vehicle they owned and stated with authority their experiences. I also heard from someone who does not own a truck...agreeing with one of the posts. This person neither owns a truck at this time nor has ever owned any class of expedited equipment. His post is based on “research”, admits that he has not evaluated a class 7 truck, and NOWHERE does he state that he has no experience with the truck.

If I did not already know these facts, I would assume that he owned a class 8 truck and that he was posting from experience. This post is misleading as many of his other are.

If we could reach an agreement on these terms, each of us would be able to state with only a couple of words, our qualifications to answer anyone’s question, allowing the reader to evaluate and weigh the responses.

There are many Newbies in each catagory who respond honestly and provide insight to the most experienced of all. Likewise there are experienced among us who have had valuable lessons to be passed on. The professionals on this site do not take a elitist attitude and are often the most helpful and knowledgeable of all. The powers of this forum have made it known that all are welcome here and I think we all agree. However, there are also some very well intentioned newbies who post information that is nothing more than speculation. There are others who very simply look for a reason to start an argument. In my opinion both types need to be recognized.

The moderators on this forum do an outstanding job of maintaing civilized conversation, but it our responsibility as members to keep this forum legitimate and honest. We can allow those who intentionally elevate threads to false accusations to continue to post until a thread is locked or removed. And we can contiue to allow those who post irresponsibly to use this forum to inflate thier fragile egos.

Or we the members can call attention to those members and suggest they change their ways.

If this forum is to remain “THE AUTHORITY” of the industry then we as members have an obligation to keep all members in check and to advise those making speculative postings, to be careful. I have done that privately in the past and believe that is the correct process. To those who have failed to follow that advice or to those whose ego’s have the depth and strength of an onion skin, and direct hate campaigns, I have and will continue to expose them for whom they are.

So I am asking your assistance...

The following are terms used on this and other sites frequently... lets see if we can agree on a definition for each... first listed will be the word... then my take...
How does your take differ... what can be added or changed to this definition that we can all agree upon?
I think this may help many on our forum understand who they are talking with and how to weight the advice given.

Driver - anyone engaged in the activity of physically operating any vehicle used in our industry

Owner – anyone who owns any vehicle used in this industry

Owner/Operator – anyone owning and driving the vehicle used in this industry

Fleet Owner – anyone owning a group of vehicles used in this industry.
(in my opinion, a number should be established to define “fleet” or “group”
I have seen others post that they are fleet owners and later have found out that they have only one or two trucks...is that a “fleet”? If not...what number should constitute a fleet? I have 8 trucks and consider myself a truck owner...am I a “fleet owner?” If I had 10 or 12 trucks would I be a fleet owner? )

Professional - a driver/owner/owner operator/ or fleet owner who has a minimum of 5 years in the expedited industry

Experienced - driver/owner/owner operator/ or fleet owner who has a minimum of 2 years in the expedited industry

Newbie - a driver/owner/owner operator/ or fleet owner who has less than 2 years in the expedited industry

Obviously this could aid all of us to know something about the person posting. For example... if someone is posting answers to the forum wouldn’t it be nice to know his credentials?
Those with the best intentions could then post something like ...

“ yada yada yada yada..................................................... “

Joe Blow... experienced driver

Please post your suggestions on the definitions and thoughts regarding the use of these terms.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: ** Expediter definitions... Forum responsibili

Good Evening fellow members! To those of you that know me, YES! I am still hanging in by the whiskers on my chinny chin-chin, and hope to always be around. I have very little time to post anymore but I am always popping in to read the great threads from all of you.

I had to break silence and reply to this thread in hopes of enlightening some of the posters who let others push their buttons.

A once colleague and friend of mine posted this long ago and it always helped me as both a moderator and a good old boy helping others. I think it’s time to repost it here and now!!!

The words of my friend! ***

My point is this - You really have to look at the entire picture to see what is going on.
Open Forum Comments
I love the freedom we have and I love the fact that we can speak our mind openly - even here on this forum as it pertains to our industry. There are three kinds of posters at EO:
a. Community Minded
My favorite kind of member. These people contribute with their comments, ideas and suggestions, they really offer a lot to the online community. The generally tell you like it is and are always willing to help anyone. Down right good neighbors!
b. One Hit Wonders
These folks have a simple question and want a simple answer. They make one or two posts and then they just "lurk" in the background, reading the post but not participating until they have another question. They don't generally offer help to anyone else, but that's ok.
c. Hot Flamers
These posters generally come armed and loaded! They are angry and frustrated that no one at their company could or would address their issues so they think that they will get some action by posting their grievance here in the public for everyone to see. Typically, these posters never participate on any other topic or offer anyone any help whatsoever.
They are on a mission to vent. We see them come and go and often wonder what became of their situation. Most of these posts even though they may be factual, the poster is often very distraught.

Tom! I hope you can overlook an others short comings???

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter

Teacel

Good to hear from you again... most here miss your postings.

Shortcomings are easily overlooked... we all have them.

Intentional misleading statements and attacks need to be dealt with head on.

I know I speak for most when I ask you to participate more...you’re one of the pro’s we all benefit from.

Take care and thanks for the post

ATCO

Expert Expediter

Since there are concerns of authority on posting, I felt I should post mine. I guess I have none.

I do NOT currently own a Class 8 or Class 7 Vehicle. I am seriously looking at a Class 6/7 for my own operations here in CA. I am not a professional truck driver.

I am researching, and many people on this site have been very helpful. I appreciate everyone's responses, even If I do not agree with them (at the time?).

I am a young man, and this interest has stemmed from an interest first in trains and then trucks, transportation as a whole. I have many friends involved in the trucking industry that I rely on for assistance with information.

With my current position in the family (Industrial supplies) business I have been the Warehouse/shipping manager for 5 years. It is my job to take care of ALL shipments into and out of our warehouse. This puts me into contact with many LTL carriers and intermodal/railroads. I have also made many, many delivery/pickups mostly in the Los Angeles area. This has been done in my 1993 F250HD, 1995 F350 12' Flatbed and many 22'/24' Penski trucks along with a host of other vehicles.

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(Newbie - Researcher)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Tom there is a small problem of verification of a posters status. Anyone can say they are an o/o ,fleet owner, Company VP etc.Other then that I think it's a good idea.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Would it be a good idea to have 2 catagories of Fleet owner? With 8 trucks you would be a "Small Fleet" owner. Would 15 be a good number to become "Large Fleet" owner? Btw, I've seen some of your trucks. Very sharp.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter

highway star...

thank you for the compliment on our trucks

until someone with a better knowledge than I have of what comprises a fleet owner comes forward, I am more comfortable with calling myself an owner in that respect.

btw.... take a look at the post just entered under the "general forum" titled "thanks gojack"

this guy has a great idea that needs to be embraced by all members

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Hey Tony!

Glad to hear you're doing so well! Miss your logic and no nonsense attitude here...

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--