eng. codes

rbjqb6

Seasoned Expediter
We have a 2005 freightliner with a C-9. Our truck will stall and we get the code 3_2_2. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Call Caterpillar tech assist; 800-447-4986
Always helpful to me, no charge.
Since yesterday I have a code bH 164 show up on my '06 Cat C9 at start up, but my engine is running fine, except for a problem that occurred about a week ago that triggered the Check Eng light. Tech assist said 164 is injector actuator, so i'm sure related to previous problem. He sd the only way to erase an engine code is for a dealer to hook up to the diagnostic link. Thought I might try to disconnect the battery for 15 min.s or so first, my past automotive experience kicking in.
My check engine light came on about a week ago when it starting running real rough, bad miss. I knew my injector harness days were numbered after observing, during a previous overhead, the hard plastic plug ends were starting to crack apart although the wire insulation looked fine. I was on my way to pick up a 1400 mile load I didn't want to loose. I stopped at the Houston FL dealer at 02:30 enroute to shipper and miraculously they had a harness in stock, $105 (I have been asking dealers for a harness for the last year or so while buying filters and such to no avail).
Enroute to pickup in Austin, running an hour ahead, stopped under a good parking lot light at the truck stop and pulled the rocker cover attempting to install harness. Found the rocker shaft had to be loosened and lifted a bit to remove large plug end of harness (seven large bolts). I frustratingly reinstalled the cover and headed to shipper, Ck eng light still burning, motor chucking only at lower rpms.
Arrived at shipper 07:00 early, went online to justanswers.com, asked for torque specs of rocker shaft. Tech answered in about 10 min.s, torque to 75#s, pd tech $18 for info. Got loaded, stopped at Sears on the way out of town, picked up a 1/2" dr torque wrench for $79 and headed north. Stopped at truck stop, installed harness, bolted back together, took 35 minutes, and surprise, engine smoothed out and Ck Eng light went off, YES!. $202 and 35 minutes, been running great ever since. Freightliner dealer wanted minimum 3hrs labor plus parts. Many of you know I will take a chance in doing my own repair, within reason, before paying a dealer to use my truck as a test lab.
I do like my C9 the more i learn about it, no major expenses as yet and hope to get the 750,000 mi.s they are rated at before an inframe. I know many in the forums dislike Cat's warranty support but have had no issues on coverage so far. Still holding my breath tho LOL.

Retidepxe