Email Etiquette

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe this is not the right place for this but I got to say something about emails.

You get them (unless you live in a cave), you know that joke that has been forwarded (FW: in the subject line) to you by a friend/co-worker/hacker and you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to read the actual joke. YUK!

I can’t stand getting email that has been forwarded to me without some editing involved - there is a reason for this hatred; a lot of these emails come in the form of HTML and do contain links and files that are downloaded when you open them up. I have outlook 2003 that blocks downloads and you will be surprised at the amount of blank emails I get from strangers. A lot of these emails points to a file on a server that is overseas in strange countries like China.

I won’t cite the specific study because I don’t remember which one it came from but I think it was a Gartner study that stated that 40% of all email is forwarded email of some form and most of this is spam from people that they know. In the same study it was stated that about 15% of this email was sent by some form of a virus that uses the address book on the computer where it is being sent from.

The other thing I find fascinating is the paranoid attitude that some have with email addresses. Many people who don’t realize that when they forward an email, many times they also forward all the addresses within the email. I found out my brother-in-laws email address in one of these forwarded emails. (which he was so serious that he only wanted a few people to have it and we were not one of them) and sent him an email starting a lot more ‘stuff’ for him. Isn’t technology wonderful?

Well after all this ranting, I suggest that if you want to share some jokes, etc… simply cut and paste it into a new email and send away.

Oh by the way, I have received email that has been forward 27 times and if I printed it out would have been 15 pages long with the actual content being only three lines long printed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I get tired of the same thing. With some people I think it's lack of pc knowledge and with others I think it's just laziness. The latter are the ones that really bug me. Most forwards get deleted immediately just to avoid the aggravation.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
Agreed and at least 75 % I dont want to see anyway. Or else I would have went to those sites. I am going to copy and pate this into a few emails I will be sending soon lol