Eaton fuller smart shift.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So I have an Eaton Fuller smart shift fully automatic transmission in my truck iv'e been told to change the oil and filters in it every 100,000 miles is this correct?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have an Eaton ultra shift and get our transmission oil changed about every 200,000 miles. It has over a million miles on it and is working fine now that we had the range valve and transmission control unit replaced this week.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't think the oil would have anything to do with JJ's problem.
My guess would be
1) Bad luck
2) air valve issue( possibly combined w/mis diagnosed control issue)
3) controller issue/electrical problem.

The autoshifts I had I always changed at 250,000 miles with synthetic.

Tough repair. I have to wonder how many electrical components get replaced due to a corroded connector that gets cleaned up during replacement.

Of course, being higher mileage, it may have been the proper repair.

Either way, glad you're up and running.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Acquitted, is that a fully automated transmission or an electronically controlled manual transmission ?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm thinking it's automated, and I wonder what filters it has? 100,000 does seem to be more often that needed.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been told Its a manual with a computer that does the shifting. No clutch pedal. Dealership told me 100,000 miles but they probably said that to get me in more often.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That's what I thought.
Pretty sure 250,000 if using synthetic is what the manual says.
I don't think there is a filter.
Some one at the dealer may have thought you had an Allison Automatic.

I have seen a filter on a rear end recently,

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
study up on the electronics on the smartshift they were problematic. also that transmission has been discontinued. not saying they are not dependable just do some research so you know the ins and outs before a problem arises.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
And when it does act up the first thing you should do is disconnect your battery cables for 10 minutes. This gives the computer time to reset.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Been there, done that on a bus that had an Allison.
Funny Direct tv used to tell us the same thing when the in motion sat dish would not track, disconnect power source for 10 minutes then plug back in. Hmm