Easy Repair. Air door actuators.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A little wordy but this will save you a few hundred bucks.

You dont have good or any heat or A.C., everything checks out, so whats the problem? Check the air door acuator. I just replaced two on my 03 international.
Its a simple repair one or two hours as you have to be carefull not to break the expensive plastic parts. Most climate controll systems on cars and trucks are electronicly controlled some may still be vaccume opperated but they started disapering after 2000. Electronic air actuators are a servo or small electric motors tha run through a gear box. Old school vacume style are a moduel with a sealed daiphram kinda looks like a mini brake chamber and has a vacuume line attached to it. FYI if you replace a vacuume driven unit check that you have good vacuume the tubing might be bad or better yet replace it so it dosent bite you a week later when its -10 F or 120 F. Most vehicals typicaly have three one for the fresh air door this one is usualy under the hood attached to or in the air box. Two are usualy inside and controll heat/cold and the blower vents. Tools most likely T 15 and smaller torx dirvers or # 1 or 2 phylips heads.

The repair is straitfoward and both vaccume controlled, and electical are basicly the same. The tough part is finding where it is and staying patient and light handed as all the newer stuff youre working with
EXPENSIVE PLASTIC PARTS Yep, Im a expert at breaking stuff just ask my woman. Start at the heater core and fan assembly one will be on the inside air box near the squirrel cage or fan assy. The other should be nearby under the dash. Now that you have tracked the actuators down, For the electrical units you turn the key into the run position the engine dosent have to run durring this cycle the controllers the motors should run if not check the connectors and check for voltage you might have a bad fuse or wire harness or dash controller. Watch the amp/volt meter so you dont dump te batery. Most comonly the socket that the door slides into cracks and slips this usualy makes clicking noise when you adjust the controlls. R&R is easy just remove the screws and GENTLY pull it off the door. If you can try to opperate the doors by hand to check for binding this will help you avoid buying more servos if its binding up. If its tight spray some silicone or my preference is Castle Endrua works good for almost everything that needs to move freely In a pinch a light oil like gun oil might work. Anyway, work the lube into the gears and joints, untill everything moves smoothly if its binding its rare but happens usualy debris you need to take it appart and find repair it.
Now new actuators rarely line up with the air door a simple way to line up the two is plug the harness onto the actuator and torn choose a setting defrost is usualy good manualy turn the air door to defrost the temp door to all hot or all cold turn the key to the run position, the servo should stop at that setting watch the socket and when it gets to the right position slide the servo onto the door. It will probly take a couple cycles to get it lined up right.
Did I mention you need patience and a light hand as you are working with plastic parts? Slide the new actuators on and attach them. Assembly should be the reverse of disassembly. I replaced both interior actuators figuring the other might not be far behind thats your choice.

Now for vaccume units. They either work or they dont. If you have decent vacuume, check that its still properly attached and did not slide off or spit out a scerw. Remove the actuator, compress the diaphram by GENTLY pushing in the push rod if it pops back out the whole distance you pushed it in it is probly shot. Apply a vaccume with a hand pump or engine vaccume to it if you hear a leak, it dosent move, moves slowly, or there is no push or pull when you give it resistance check to see if it is plugged otherwise its given up the ghost, its probly shot and needs to be replaced.. Its a very rare find to have any that are servicable and likely the parts dont exist if its that old. Its safe to say that replacement is basicly the same as electrical unita just remember to pick up tubing as hoses dry out deteriorate, plug up, and leak.

I bought my units online for half of what the dealership wanted and since Doorman makes the OEMs It was worth the couple days to get them.

Bob Wolf.