E unit Expediting vs. Trucking

newthead

Expert Expediter
OK, I have been reading here and elsewhere that E units do well in expediting. My quetion is; why would someone do expediting with a TT instead of general or dedicated freight with a trucking company? Does expediting pay more or is it just personal preference? Just wondering.....

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll throw my 2cents in and start. I would have to say that is depends on personal preference. I won't think leasing on to an expedite company, will make you any greater per mile money. I think from knowing this business, that good teams running expedite freight, can rack up the miles each week. The E units(TT)seem be in high demand, and seem to always have a load or are going to get a load. The dead head miles are limited and more time than not you will get compensated for your dead head miles from your company. You spend a lot less time at the dock waiting to get loaded or unloaded to boot. The freight you have or going to get is always hot. So you get loaded or unloaded right now.

A team that is running a good dedicated route can’t compare. I would do the dedicated run hands down. But! Now lets put that but in there. If a team or even a signal driver leases on to a non expedite company, how long is it before a dedicated route worth anything is offered to him/her? The company has their own drivers doing it.

You really can’t compare general freight. Why??? If you run general freight, you get a load and may have to take it 600 miles but you have three days to get it there and they will not unload you any sooner. OR!!! You get a load after sitting at the dock all morning, now you leave at noon and have to drive 480 miles, half of it threw the Buckeye, and they stop unloading at 7:00pm and you get there at 7:15. Now you have to wait until 7:00am the next day. You finally get unloaded and call in at 11:00 am only to here dispatch tell you he doesn’t have anything until 9:00am the next day.

Where do you want to be???

LEGEND3

Expert Expediter
EXPEDITING WITH A T/T HAS AN ADVANTAGE OF TIME CRITICAL SHIPMENTS
VS TRUCKLOADS EXPEDITING ASLO PAYS MORE THERE ARE COMPAINES PAYING
1.60 PER MILE FOR T/T EXPEDITING SO ITS ACUALLY WORTH IT TO GO
EXPEDITING:7