E track in a cargo van

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I am actively shopping for a new van and am thinking ahead about cargo securement. Most (if not all) the Expedite companies require E-track in cargo vans so I was wondering how you have it installed. I got to looking at things and it seems the best place would be in the floor instead of the sides of the truck. That way you could lay the strap over the load to secure it down as well as make easily removable braces or blocks to push pallets up against.

Anybody feel like sharing their setup? Anybody got pics of a floor E-track setup?

Thanks!

--
Mike N

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I suggest both.

On the floor and on the wall, you will find that you have loads in all shapes and sizes.

This will give you more securement options.:)

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

E-track can be ordered as a package from either Ford or Chevy in several different upfit groups.
You will only get E-track on the sides of the van....doing a subfloor on the cargo area you can have E-track inlayed to solve your problem.

By the way be sure you let your dealer know of your plans...their are rebates for commercial upfits available from both GM and Ford and Sprinter(hmmmm)

P.S. - Ford is finally shipping 2004 6.0 Diesel Econolines...having driven one I would highly recommend you look at that route...they have the kick of a 6.0 liter gas GM and great fuel efficiency...

Thanks,

Frank T. in Pa.

"The Beast in the East" :D

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the reply Frank. I am aware of the upfit deals out there with GM. Since I am not likely going to be able to afford a new van it will have to be something installed by myself.

As for the Diesel Econoline do you mean the 8.0 motor? If it drives like the '95 F450 with the 7.3 Power Stroke I had it should run like a scalded cat in a van.

Still looking for pointers to photos of some floor E-track installations. Also looking for a supplier of E-track in central Maryland.

--
Mike N

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Hey Mike,

Actually, he DOES mean 6.0.. it's the 'latest and greatest' diesel from Ford. The new 6.0 powerstroke is apparently lighter, quieter and more powerful, with better fuel economy than the venerable 7.3.

As for the E Track part of your question, I refer you to one of my favorite threads in the archives from last year. It was a discussion of van interiors in which Lawrence posted shots of the old EO van E Track setup, and dieseldoctor posted his now famous :) :) :) (well, at least in my opinion) pictures of his van interior. As you'll see, he actually flush mounted the E Track to the metal floor, so the actual track is below the surface of the plywood, allowing a forklift to slide the freight smoothly on the wood, and then be strapped down, or use the 2x4 brackets to hold in place. Done this way, one 4x8 piece of good 3/4 or 1 inch thick plywood would cover the whole area where freight would sit.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/337.html

Dieseldoctor has one of the better setups I've seen, especially for being a 'homebuilt'.. Tho, to tell the truth, from what I've seen of Whiterabbit's posts on HIS buildup, we should try to convince HIM to post some pics of HIS van.. HMMMM?? Whiterabbit? Ara ya listening? .. LOL

:+ :+ :+ :+

Dreamer

PS. A quick online search led me to this company, Maryland Trailer Sales in Baltimore.. that Central enough for ya? Click on the 'Parts' link, and it will lead you to a section where they list side kits, straps, bars, etc. I'm sure they could hook ya up with a few feet of E Track.

http://www.trailer.net/

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>Hey Mike,
>
>Actually, he DOES mean 6.0.. it's the 'latest and greatest'
>diesel from Ford. The new 6.0 powerstroke is apparently
>lighter, quieter and more powerful, with better fuel economy
>than the venerable 7.3.

Wow that thing sounds like the cat's meow. Verrrry nice indeed.

>As you'll see, he
>actually flush mounted the E Track to the metal floor, so
>the actual track is below the surface of the plywood,
>allowing a forklift to slide the freight smoothly on the
>wood, and then be strapped down, or use the 2x4 brackets to
>hold in place. Done this way, one 4x8 piece of good 3/4 or
>1 inch thick plywood would cover the whole area where
>freight would sit.

Nice. That is kinda what I had in mind but better.

>Dieseldoctor has one of the better setups I've seen,
>especially for being a 'homebuilt'.. Tho, to tell the
>truth, from what I've seen of Whiterabbit's posts on HIS
>buildup, we should try to convince HIM to post some pics of
>HIS van.. HMMMM?? Whiterabbit? Ara ya listening? .. LOL

Paging Mr. Wabbit. Paging Mr. Wabbit! ;)

>PS. A quick online search led me to this company, Maryland
>Trailer Sales in Baltimore.. that Central enough for ya?
>Click on the 'Parts' link, and it will lead you to a section
>where they list side kits, straps, bars, etc. I'm sure they
>could hook ya up with a few feet of E Track.

Wrong side of town but I'll get by there. I would expect them to have that. Seems like they have everything else. I *think* my dad bought a new Fontaine trailer from them years ago.

--
Mike N