Duramax Update

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Ran back from Florida last week. The Duramax seems to maintain consistent fuel milage regardless of the speed. I ran a few hours at 70+ and it didn't phase the economy.

Third generation engine has lower compression, so it turns over very easy. Runs quiet (well, as far as diesels are concerned). My brother has a Ford dually that pulls his 35' fifth wheel camper. Now that engine is very loud! He rode in a new Chevy truck on the jobsite and he couldn't believe how quiet the Duramax is compared to other engines. Of course, pickups do have more distance from cab to engine and the firewall soundproofing is thicker too.

GM wanted to put the Allison tranny in the van, but they couldn't reconfigure in time for production; so the van has a beefed up Yipsilanti Hydramatic transmission. Hot shoters are rough on trannys because pulling a trailer adds a different stress dimension. GM went to the Allison in the pick ups to offset the high wear factors of those who tow. Only time will tell if cargo loads will have a negative impact on the Duramax/Hydramatic combo. I haven't heard anything negative yet, but keep an eye out for 2007's that might have the Allison in them.

They did put a two-stage fuel filter system on board. The combo gives you a 15,000 mile range.

PS. The 2006 trannys use Dextron IV fluid. I talked with a service tech in Florida and he didn't even have any on the shelf. Had I not mentioned it to him, he might have topped me off with Dextron III. There is so little communication between the manufacturers and the dealers! Owners need to speak to every service tech BEFORE he touches the van! Everybody needs to be on the same page and I review everything that I want done BEFORE I hand over my keys. Oh, by the way, 1 bottle of Dextron IV is $13.95. Ouch! I sure hope the price comes down before I do a tranny flush.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It could be worse. The Allisons on the class 7's run $400 to $450 for a change. That is using synthetic.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the mpg?

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.