Dump trucks

jtnc

Seasoned Expediter
just trying to get any info on the dump truck business. I know there are former dump truck driver turned expediters. Thinking of getting into the dump truck business. shreveport is booming and there is a demand for them. Just want to know how to get started.thx

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
purchase a dump truck

just my opinion

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Posting here is a good start. I am sure somebody who has been in that biz can help. If you dont get much info...call some of the big construction companies in your area and ask how they handle that part of their biz. Most will probably tell you they utilize owner operators and if they need any.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In my experience with them... dump truck beds vary... some are equipped for soil, some are ready for big rocks (boulders)... some are great for sand and gravel... ask dump truck co.'s about that... perhaps if you have a truck, bring it by and talk to a dump truck co. owner.

I know sand can be hauled 100+ miles one way with the big semi truck dump trailers, and typcically stay busy 6 days a week.
They dump it at various yards, and then regular dump trucks are loaded with the sand and it's hauled to the sites by them. Gravel is handled the same way. Soil operations vary. Soil is where having a liner inside the box can help. The dump truck biz picks up substantially anytime storms do damage. Like anything, there's good money in it, if you got the right customers.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I was once told that some get paid by the weight and per trip - hence why you see trucks with 10 axles 25-30 tons/load will pay very good. In MI they run 100k lb "Gravel Trains".

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
It's really a pretty broad subject . Some get paid by the load , some by the hour . There are even dump trucks that haul hazmat OTR . It would help to know just what type truck and work you are interested in .There are some dump truck owners at this forum http://roundtable.truck.net/index.php . And they have a union discussion forum too ! Chuckwagon , are you out there ?

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
He's down there in Sheveport, Louisiana... seeing 10 axle dumps is very rare down in the south. Most are 3 or 4 axles... some push it with the rare 5 or 6 axles in the south... but it's very rare to see that.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just picked up the most recent copy of the Truck Paper...
if you're interested...

There's a 2007 Pete Dump truck in there for $147,000.

It's sharp and mean lookin', but for that price it better be.

RebelSasquatch

Seasoned Expediter
You can make as much or more money with a dump truck as you can driving anything over the road. I spent eight months driving someone else's dump, the money he made was just silly. Even on a slow day the truck would gross $500. That may not sound like much compared to some of the high-dollar expedited freight, but on a day like that the truck might only burn 15-20 gallons of fuel. That's not a lot of expense. I collected $600 COD checks for $130 worth of rock. He could easily gross well over $1,000 on a decent day from one truck. If a truck went on a rental job it was $55/hour.

There were only two reasons I didn't get my own dump truck. The first was finances, I just couldn't come up with the cash to do it. The second was worries over a slow startup. I have no idea how long it would take to get enough loads to pay the bills. It's not the same as on the road where you can call a broker and start making money. The only way to get business with a dump is to advertise your service and wait for the phone to ring. I don't have near enough capital to handle that situation.