DUI

G

I have a question for anyone that can help. I got a citation for DUI in Sept.1991. I have checked with the Local cops and they say that is has been removed from my record. My question is this
Is it going to be difficult to cross into Canada because of this?
Any help will be apperciated. Thanks night215

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Canada issues something they call a Canadian Pardon for DUI!S etc but I am not certain of the details etc.If it doesen!t show up on your home state computer system I don!t think Canada could get that info.Why notcheck with the Canadian authorities..

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's my understanding that Canada has access to FBI Criminal records, so ANYTHING that you've ever been arrested for is common knowledge for them. The "Pardon" that Rich referred to will cost $200 -- and i hope your writting hand is in good shape since they also require a LIFE HISTORY, including marriages (when & where), divorces (again, when & where), any arrests (you guessed it! when, where & disposition), etc. etc. And that $200? It's a non-refundable fee, whether you are actually given the Pardon, or not.

You will need to contact the Canadian Border Supervisor about getting the application. The phone number is 907-871-5660. i tried to call before making this post, but all i got was an answering machine. i'm not sure if the person you need to talk to is on vacation, or if they were at lunch when i called.

Good luck!

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

G

Yeah I got the same citation in 92 and got the pardon. its not a problem. I really can say I will never take a load into Canada though, I just dont want to. You will have to get the Pardon regardless. Just fill out the paperwork and wait for a reply (oh yeah and send them the money). good luck

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sorry to be such a nit-picker folks, but in a previous life I was a military police officer in Canada, so I have a more than average understanding of the law in my country. An American citizen cannot be granted a "Pardon" by the government of Canada, UNLESS the said American has been convicted of a crininal act, IN CANADA. A pardon is only given if you were convicted in Canada.

The form that you are writting out is to allow you to enter Canada inspite of your American criminal record, and is called an entry waiver. The Government of Canada, thru the Revenue and Customs Agency, does have computer connection with both the FBI and the NCIC ( National Crime Information Center) and when you approach the first inspection station, your vehicle plate will be recorded, and you may be asked to produce personal identification. If you have a criminal record in the USA, other than traffic tickets, or such, you may be denied entry to Canada, as a undesireable person. Don't feel bad over this though, the US Customs Service is every bit as bad when it comes to Canadians being treated as if we are some kind of sub-human species. The difference of course, is that the Canadian officials are not armed and don't feel the need to push people around so much. JIM BUNTING

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome back JIM missed your prose and comments.Hope you are OK,asnd making good $$ ,stay in touch.. Rich M

G

Thanks Rich, I was home for a day to have my van serviced, and was just passing thru the site, and thought I might shed some light on the current subject of debate. I'm still with Dynamex, and still making money, but looking at other options here in maple leaf land. Thought I might try my hand at designing outfits for strippers, the material costs would be low, and the clientel are certainly congenial, to say nothing of the fun of working out the design flaws. The only problem I can see is the need to learn to sew in dark, noisy rooms, while concentrating on a moving target. Other than that, I think it could be a nice way to work my way into semi-retirement, or perhaps a high blood pressure condition. Either way, it could be fun......JIM