driving school

wayne_g

Seasoned Expediter
i want my B cdl but i cant find a truck for my road test should i go to a school to get my B cdl or what? i wanted to drive a cargo or sprinter van but it seems everone says i cant make good money running one of them so i want my B cdl but the school is the only way i can think of for getting my B CDL.if you have any other ideas please let me know.:-(

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Have you spent any time reading past posts? This subject is actively being discussed now.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
you could always go to truck driving school and get your class a and be done with it. then you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading if you decided to move up to a tractor trailer in the future. just a thought.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I got my class B without going to a "school". I didnt have a truck either. Went to C1 in Indianapolis. They have other locations as shown in this link. http://www.c1training.com/campuslocations.aspx There maybe some other schools in your area that does the same thing.

You pay a small fee to use their truck and they administer the pre trip, range test, and road test. If you need some 1 on 1 training...they can provided that for a small fee also. They can do the same thing if you want a class A.

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same problem..Seems that noone that rents trucks wants to rent you a truck to take your test.. I went to Star truck rentals and they offered a 1 on 1 class for like $400.00 or you can just rent a truck to take your road test through their facility with one of their instructors for $255.00...

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I also went to C1, they have training by the hour. It was $55 per hour to train using their truck for a class B. I paid for two hours, they gave me a list to study from for the pre-trip, and I took the test and passed without any other practice. BTW- they had automatics at both sites I attended.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
In some states if you qualify using a automatic transmission you are only permitted to drive truck with auto trans.

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
We talked to C1 today in Springfield, Missouri. They told us 2 things quite clearly:

1) they only have and train for CDL-A (tractor)

2) The WILL NOT do 3rd party test, must enroll in their school.

We are trying to find someone with CDL-A or CDL-B who will rent a truck for us from Penske (which we would pay...of course) that we might be able to take the pre-trip and riving test.

God bless,
Doug Mifflin

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
you could go to your local school and sign up to be a sub bus driver, you'll get trained and get your air brake end. ,then you'll get your bcdl after the test spend the rest of the school year driving and get into expediting in the summer.(that experience will make you love sitting in a truckstop waiting for a load);)