Driving for fleet owner questions

Sparky147

Rookie Expediter
So looking at making the jump into the field of expediting. Talked to a few recruiters and one had a fleet owner contact me and these are the questions I asked and answers received, So for you seasoned vets lol. Do these answers sound legit. and are most fleet owners the same setup?

Thanks for all the help.

Q: What is the pay rate and how often are settlements paid?
A: 60/40 split and weekly after first 3 weeks which pay is with held by carrier

Q: Who receives fuel surcharge?
A: I do (owner) as you get 60% of what load pays.

Q: Who pays for fuel?
A:You (Driver) are responsible for all fuel costs.

Q:Who is responsible for vehicle upkeep cost?
A: I (owner) am and pay for it directly over phone.

Q: What insurance do I need to carry?
A: I (owner) carry vehicle, cargo, and workmans-comp. so none

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are paying for the fuel, you should be getting 100% of the fuel surcharge.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe some owners do the 60/40 and keep the FSC. Others do 55/45 and pay the FSC.

The reasoning I've heard is the cost of trucks is higher, so I , the owner, need more.

I think these owners experience higher turn over.

To answer the OP's question: whoever is paying for the fuel usually gets 100% of the FSC.

Last edited:

Sparky147

Rookie Expediter
25/75 I'll pay the fuel.
When can you start ?

HaHa...I may have been born at night, but wasn't last night. But that was the only red flag I saw. But hey first owner I spoke with and still doing my home work before making any commitments. Just don't personally know anyone who expedites for a living hence me being here

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sparky, The offer was to Ragman, in response to his comment.

What are you looking to drive ?
Do you have any transportation experience ?

Sparky147

Rookie Expediter
Sparky, The offer was to Ragman, in response to his comment.

What are you looking to drive ?
Do you have any transportation experience ?

Oh lol.. Im looking at the cargo van or sprinter to start. no experience as day to day or on full time sense. Have done couple deliveries of material and equipment to job sites for the company I work for currently. Really got motivated in expediting after talking with recruiters at MATS in Louisville.

The plan I have at the moment and going to stick to, I am enrolled to go to the CDL program at a local school which I start that at the end of the month then proceed to offers that come in later and if I start out in a van or sprinter and not satisfied with income I still have options in the driving field only down side at first is going to be the lack of exp.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Oh lol.. Im looking at the cargo van or sprinter to start. no experience as day to day or on full time sense. Have done couple deliveries of material and equipment to job sites for the company I work for currently. Really got motivated in expediting after talking with recruiters at MATS in Louisville.

The plan I have at the moment and going to stick to, I am enrolled to go to the CDL program at a local school which I start that at the end of the month then proceed to offers that come in later and if I start out in a van or sprinter and not satisfied with income I still have options in the driving field only down side at first is going to be the lack of exp.

If you get a CDL you should start out in a CDL class truck. You will have trouble getting into a larger truck later. The market is flooded with vans anyway.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Getting into a CDL truck with an experienced expeditor would be my advice.

Same income too !

Sparky147

Rookie Expediter
If some of you don't mind answering this but what is your average fuel expense in a month times, how many miles do you run loaded and how many unloaded in a months time. and what is your rough out of pocket cost to operate, ie: insurance, taxes, fuel, maintannace, etc. figures can be rough and or ball park. and please specify on what you are running whether it be van, cube van, or sprinter and whether it be diesel or gas thanks.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Straight truck, drive for fleet owner, 60/40 split. We get 60% of $1.12 for plus straight truck fsc of $0.29. March koaded miles was 14675 plus 819 empty paid as loaded at $1.12 plus fsc. 1825 dead-head miles paid at flat $0.50 per mile. Cost of fuel was $8258.88. Most contracts are 60/40 or 40/60 when driving for truck or fleet owner. Whoever gets 60% pays for fuel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you for some actual numbers.
Is that typical for you for a month?

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Every momth is different. Average is 10000 loaded to 14000 loaded a month. Depends on how much home time u take. Most take 5 days off after 5 weeks on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app