driving experience

mikesdebi

Expert Expediter
can anyone tell me if this is possible.Hubby and I are thinking of driving a "D" truck for an owner. But neither of us has our cdl yet nor any driving experience? OK, he drove a little, but many years ago. (we will get our cdl's before driving tho)The owner has no problem letting us drive his truck..but would any of the carriers actually accept us with no experience? I heard the lead driver in a team has to have a minimum 6 months of recent driving experience? If any carriers do accept, who are they??

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Most INSURANCE COMPANIES persuade the Carriers (Trucking Company) to adopt certain driver hiring criteria. Most carriers will expect you to have at least 1 year driving experience in the type of vehicle you intend to operate. At Premium Transportation Logistics, our driver hiring criteria is TWO years experience. In a tractor-trailer, this experience must be verifiable. For most drivers of straight trucks and cargo vans, this experience can include "Non-CDL" type driving.
You will need to research the carriers to determine your ability to be approved or qualified.
I hope this helps you.
Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter
:)

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Tri-State will accept individuals without any experience to operate a D' unit. As long as you are able to find an owner that would accept you without any experience you should be o.k. Most fleet owners will not have too much of a problem putting you in a straight truck, especially if you are a husband and wife team.

Feel free to contact us and we can give you a few fleet owners looking.

ABC