Driving A Sprinter For Fleet Owner

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was looking at the possibility of driving a Sprinter for a fleet owner to try one out and learn a little. I understand that there isn't much money involved and I am fine with that. I was trying to find a smaller company that might work out well and I was looking for suggestions if anyone knew of any possibilities.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone that went this route and how it worked out.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I've learned, working with small companies might be a killer. Sometimes they get long runs (I'm talking about 1500+ miles run) with little time to stop for a nap, and all for little money (70-80 cents before split). So, if you wanna try it out, go for a fleet owner that works with large carriers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My opinion only, and if you find a dollar on the ground to put with it then it's worth coffee. I'd say don't worry too much about which company, just which owner. You want to find one that has a written contract they will give you ahead of time to study. When you find that owner you should have also found someone who will be truthful and honest about their carrier, miles, pay etc. etc. and that's what you need to find. There are some smaller carriers that are very very good, Load 1 being top shelf. You wouldn't get rich but there would be money worth splitting. Good luck.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
From what I've learned, working with small companies might be a killer. Sometimes they get long runs (I'm talking about 1500+ miles run) with little time to stop for a nap, and all for little money (70-80 cents before split). So, if you wanna try it out, go for a fleet owner that works with large carriers.

The long run doesn't worry me as much as the .70/mile possibility does.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My opinion only, and if you find a dollar on the ground to put with it then it's worth coffee. I'd say don't worry too much about which company, just which owner. You want to find one that has a written contract they will give you ahead of time to study. When you find that owner you should have also found someone who will be truthful and honest about their carrier, miles, pay etc. etc. and that's what you need to find. There are some smaller carriers that are very very good, Load 1 being top shelf. You wouldn't get rich but there would be money worth splitting. Good luck.

I just wanted to try out a small company to see how it compared to when I was at Bolt.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just wanted to try out a small company to see how it compared to when I was at Bolt.

A small company, if they have good contracts, will keep you busy most of the time. But as I mentioned before, there will be less money per mile and time for rest. And most of them won't pay for deadheads or relocations.

bolter82

Expert Expediter
Do you have an owner your going with? My owner is a great guy. Hes got 2008 Sprinters and 2010s. I quit with him back in 2010 but I needed work and he hired me back on. He also has straight trucks (under cdl) if anyone is interested, message me. (from Shelbyville, TN)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Do you have an owner your going with? My owner is a great guy. Hes got 2008 Sprinters and 2010s. I quit with him back in 2010 but I needed work and he hired me back on. He also has straight trucks (under cdl) if anyone is interested, message me. (from Shelbyville, TN)

Who are the Sprinters signed on with?