Drivers, Hams, and Dangeous Interference

RadarLvr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Like most here, I drive a truck for a living. I also run an HF Ham rig in my truck. The other day, I was checked in to the Maritime Mobile Service Net. Ususally, this net runs smoothly with one check-in after another, handled by proficient, courteous net controllers. USUALLY there is no priority traffic, but this time there was a Maritime Mobile requesting assistance in contacting a doctor. Fortunately, it wasn't an emergency. Interference from 14302.5KHz wiped out the Maritime Mobile for almost all on frequency.

I am a truck driver and a Ham, so I feel obliged and qualified to make the following statement: I strongly feel that there should be a recognized calling frequency for truckers using Ham radios in their trucks. However, as a Ham, I understand on-air etiquette. While technically 2.5KHz is the barest limit for spacing between QSO's, the 3KHz bandwidth of a single side band signal insures that there will be interference to a greater or lesser degree. Intercon and MSN have been established on 14300KHz for decades and have provided valuable service to deployed service personnel and maritime mobiles with distinction. I feel that the ad hoc selection of 14302.5KHz for a Truck Driver's calling frequency is WRONG. Some may argue that trucker's were on the frequency first, and there is some validity to that argument. However, as there is no organization of truckers co-ordinating this frequency, it has no standing. The "Intercon" and "Maritime Mobile Service" nets have hemisphere wide co-ordination with memebership around the world. It seems to me the thing for truckers to do is move 500HZ up the band. Would this be an onerous thing? I think not. Consider: any driver looking on 14302.5 would hear the signals from up frequency ....intelligibly.... and move to that frequency to carry on.

Both the trucker's call frequency and the service nets are valuable assets to all communities involved. The continued use of 14302.5 will do nothing but alienate a potentially valuable resource to drivers and possibly prevent much needed assistance from reaching ships at sea.

If you are a Ham driver or know one, I urge you to ask them to consider this.

froggybutton

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As Ham operators we could not agree more. In the past we have had to notify fellow truckers that they were on frequencies where they, by FCC Regulations, had no right to be. If they are going to use Ham equipment then they should do themselves the honor of getting their License. It is not complicated, nor expensive, it only requires a little work on their part and the rewards are well worth it, as you well know.

We enjoy hearing from fellow Hams when we are on the road and hope to get to hear from you and others out there. Our calls are N4PEN and KN4PEN. Drive safe and God Bless

RadarLvr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The sad thing is, the QRM was caused by LICENSED operators. I encourage you to check in to the nets on 14300KHz sometime and listen. Then go to 14302.5 and findout just who is causing the QRM.
73 DE N4DFP
David Hammack