DPF and CARB, mine ST8's time has come.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Not looking for the "should we or not", but rather, looking for DPF experiences, good or bad. Hoping to gain pros and cons on retrofitting current truck (C9 M2) or go with a new/used ST8 built with DPF from the factory. Any opinions on most reliable motor/trans combinations appreciated. Anybody?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
First off I would not retrofit a DPF on a truck. To costly and not enough information from real world experiences.

As as far as upgrading to a compliant truck I would go new enough to have DEF and get pass first year DEF. We have lots of information on DPF trucks and most is not favorable.

Question for you, have you looked at what you are losing vs. expense of upgrading over the term of a new, newer truck ? Is going to CA. that important to your operation ? When you figure the cost of an upgrade and the down time on return loads which cost, over the term of payment for an upgrade is more ?

If I had to choose I would go with a 2012 or newer DD 13 or 15. Preferably the 15 !!

Personally I can't climb on the CA. bandwagon for forced compliance. It's wrong and enforced by a group with research done by a person who lied about his credentials. Not to mention the fact that no single entity is suppose to be able to impede in interstate commerce yet it is being allowed, so far. It's relatively easy for us to feel this way as we do not need CA. for our business.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My DPF has been positive.
266,509 miles.
One park regen.
Trouble free.
2012 Volvo D-13@500 hp
Cleaned 7th injector, replace filter in def tank, and filter in fill tube. All scheduled.

Ready for DPF cleaning. Holding off until engine says it needs it.

Nowhere as scary as I expected.

Of course, still kind of new.
I avoid idling and avoid bio-diesel.

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I have a dpf only cat c13. It'd stick it out and go to a newer truck with a dpf and scr (def). It also depends on the engine. Cat had major issues, cummins had issues and Mercedes didn't have many issues at all with their dpf. I'm not sure about a pure dpf volvo.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like the best option is newer truck w/ DPF & SCR.

Zorry, care to mention what the DPF cleaning will cost?

Dynamite, I was borderline not going down the CARB railroad but two or three round trips out of there covers the initial cost I'm thinking. So many of us have not upgraded and it seems the demand for CARB trucks is out there, according to Panther's gov't team, which those loads pay a premium. I can't remember the last time we didn't have a load out of Cali the next day.

Team Caffee, forgive me if I missed any previous threads of your experience w/ DPF. Would like to hear about yours if you care too. You have a truck I would consider one of the ultimate choices.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Like anything, you have to shop.
I imagine it'll come down as more people get the equipment.
I see a lot of independent shops getting into it.
I asked a large Volvo shop and they did not have the equipment. They send it out, so it's a two day job.
I've heard as high as $750 and as low as $345. Interesting is these were both Volvo shops in Central Ca.

I'm not holding off over cost. I'm holding off over the " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in me.

At first hint of need, I'll do it.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
injector cup issues, have not heard of any on any of the new DD'S. The 15 is just my personal choice if i had to have a new engine.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 13 provides more torque and horsepower than a straight truck would ever need. Wouldn't the 15 be a bit of overkill?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In the TVal is Thermoking Only Now ?
Thread, Dr Phil states they are cranking new trucks out so fast that they don't have time to put them together properly.

That's my fear. So many people buying new trucks that the slight uptick in $$ for Ca freight will soon go away.

I still laugh about a truck I saw many years ago that had this painted on the back of the sleeper:
IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
The 13 provides more torque and horsepower than a straight truck would ever need. Wouldn't the 15 be a bit of overkill?

difference between the two is a couple a hundred pounds and no i dont think its overkill. its all in how you drive it !!!!!!!!!!!!

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
DPF cleaning can cost from 400-700 bucks depending on where you go, if you willing to do some work and remove and install you can cut that cost down...Ive run DEF in several trucks and had no issues, my first truck was Freightliner with the Mercedes engine that thing ran like a kitten purrs, and got great fuel mileage, I did one DPF cleaning on 300,000 miles....you might need more if your east coast, stop and go, etc...

I dont think Id retrofit either, the miles add up and after you retrofit, youll wear something else out...I like the DD series and have had great luck with them...Ive always said I d rather have too much engine then less, if you need it you got it, but when your in the mountains and Loaded for bear, straining the guts outta a fuel economy motor is serious wear and tear, but there is a balance too...that DD13 has the guts and can be tuned to really pull./.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I recently had my DPF changed in an 08 cascadia. It's quite the system, with various pipes and wires attached. I had about 550,000mi on the detroit 60 series. After seeing the system, I would think you may have problems with a retro-fit. I guess my point is, buying a truck with DPF from the factory sounds like a better move.