Don't get me wrong

Frank

Expert Expediter
But you are some real depressing people here. I have driven a truck for 14 years and the last two were with my own. I had nothing but trouble with it (94 Freightshaker Fld120) Pulled containers. You haven't been around till you pulled intermodal! I sold that truck, I was off more that I was working due to repair time. 1300 dollar truck payment 1800 dollar plates and 550 dollar heavyuse tax....I could go on and on. I still lived comfortable. I gave it up because I got tired of being McGuiver and having to juryrig the trailers just to get them down the road. Now I study a bit and decide to give expediting a try....yeah yeah I won't get rich I hear you. But good grief after reading all these messages on this forum i expect half of you to be swinging from the end of a rope soon! Sheese, lighten up folks. Obviously it's bad out there but at least try to mix in some good with all this bad. Again PLEASE don't get me wrong here. I just have never been on such a negative site like this. Have a good weekend anyway ;-) I really do mean that.
Frank Betts.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Frank, talk about bring back memories, I pulled containers with my 93 FLD 120 and know what you mean about repairs. Did this in the twin cities for a year and a half. Switched to expediting with a straight truck but unfortunately didn't work out. Definately miss it though. Yeah it gets pretty negetive on here. Until the economy gets better, it will stay tight. Am curious on what your driving now. Thought about coming back with a van but will wait a year or so. By then the economy should be better. Until then, will be going back to tractor/trailer for a while (company driver). Going to be hard to work for someone else. Thats the nice thing about expediting, work your own hours. Hope you have better luck that I did expediting. Good luck.
Randy :)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Frank,
I'm sure you are smarter then that. What do I mean? Well think about it. Most of the replies on this site are from drivers that are working for someone that owns the truck and sits home and makes the money pimping out the truck! The drivers get 40 to 60% of what the owner tells them he/she made on the load. MOST-MOST of the drivers talk so negative on this site about anything and everything and most of them don't even know what side is up. The GREED, ya GREED gets in the way and they think if you are trying to get a job as an expediter that is one less load that driver will get. So-SO if they put all this negativity out there, it may just stop someone from wanting to do this as a profession. Do you get my drift? There is alot of good people on this site and they are the ones that you should put your trust on when looking for some good advice. I feel that if someone hates thier job or the company they work for as much as some of the posts on this site act like they do, then get the h--- out of the game. WE DON'T MISS YA!!!!!!!!!! For all you looking for some good honest advice and suggestions, or help! WELL you just have to read between the lines and get or become more involved and be more direct. Ask questions, lots of questions!!!!!!!!!!!!
EXAMPLE: If you told me you didn't like what you did, I would have to ask you why you are still doing it, then depending on the answer, call you a BSer (lier).
If this profession was so bad, DO you think people would be doing it?

Frank

Expert Expediter
I hear you. I just think you get out of it what you put into it. I could go on and on about my past employers. But I kind of direct my energy in "how" do I get around this obstacle and make the best of it. I ran containers into Chicago and then back to Detroit 5 nights a week. Everytime I saw an expediter I would get him to go to another channel and ask questions. Most of them said it is like any other job out there and most said they were enjoying it as owner operators. Guess it just depends on how you attack this job mentally I guess. ;-) Oh yeah. I bought a Savanah 2500 with the vortec engine. 2002 with 0 interest and 0 down. Guess the good part is I did not burn my bridges from past employers and do have a safety net just in case. But I will give this an honest attempt to make it work. I'm stubborn that way :)
Frank.

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Frank,
Don't get ME wrong! But, I really had to laugh at your observations about this sight. Although it is sometimes a bit UP TIGHT. I was thinking how positive it was here compaired to the other sights I go to. The Farmers are all arguing at each other because of their farm subsidies, the Crop duster's are almost at War over wheather it is politicaly correct to use the term "Crop Duster" or Aerial Aplicators"!?...lol!.... I even went to a sight for Indians and they were all bent out of shape because I wasn't 1/64th Cherokee like the rest of them were saying they were.(I'm 1/2 Kiamichi Creek & 1/4 Caddo). And they all get bent over my misspelt words.
It's just plain stressful out there......IF... you believe everything you Hear or Read and or See on TV. I don't...But,I do know it aint easy to be in business for yourself and it aint easy to find a place to go and unload a little and find solutions to the little things that get in our way as businessmen and women. Sometimes we need to beat the Drums to vibrate the wax out of our ears so we can here the answers when they come. (Thats an old Indian saying..that I just made up.)
I've learned a ton here and am looking forward to hearing advice from you also. By the way I sure like the Joke section here.

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

Frank

Expert Expediter
Alright. Hmmm... well I'm not an injun' I don't farm. And although I have a current Private pilots license I don't crop dust. How ever I do drive a truck (Owner operator Truck is paid off and was just sold. Repairs getting rediculus! Thought I would take a left turn and try expediting for awhile. All else fails I could say, "it should have worked" ;-)
Frank. Radio Transfer, Grand Rapids . Mi

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Frank
Hey cool another PVT Pilot! Anything that makes noise and gose faster than the last noise maker! Well I am in the trucking business by default and even though sometimes I've thought; "I just might have a stroke today", I'm starting to have a blast! So far ( with alot of help) I have managed to stay just ahead of the learning curve. I had never drove OTR before now and it is nothing like City delivery I found out the FAST way. My plan for starting an X fleet? Not. God forbid but I still have trucks to sell off; no not "put on the road" but SELL.
By the way if anyone sees a set of Craftsman tools laying on the road ( I-10) between Tucson and El Paso? They're mine........please return. lol
Steve

Frank

Expert Expediter
Hey Steve. I try to fly when I can at least keep up the 90 day rule to carry passengers anyway. I have had a full week as an expediter and have had a blast! AHHHH never thought I would say that! I just came back from Tenn delivering 5 pieces of freight not amounting to nothing as far as size and weight. The pay was great and I stayed at a basic motel and just goofed off till the next morning. Had to deadhead 60 miles for my return. Made darn near what I made as a O/O doing turns back and fourth to Chicago Detroit. And with no headaches. Oh well so far so good. I will definitly clue all in if this thing goes south on me LOL
Frank. ;)

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
CRRRIKKIE! Had a close one Friday!!!!
I ##### U ME d that a dirt hauler was going the posted 35 MPH and turned left ahead of him. Man-oman that would have been noisy! More like 80mph the CHP trooper said as he wrote me a warning and the drit hauler a ticket. 310 ft. of skid marks! And 3" more on my part! My co-driver is calling me " Broadsides" now!
I'd like to thank Dr. Redman at the VA for the great stitches He used during my triple bypass in March. They held nicely During Fridays excitement! lol

Frank

Expert Expediter
Holy cow Steve! You need to write a book on those kind of adventures :D
Compared to my little adventure into Canada Friday Night.
Frank.