Doing my research: have questions

turbolover53

New Recruit
Researching
Good day,

New member here. I’m doing my research and contemplating whether I should be driving an 18 wheeler, which I’ve done before. Or stick with a small expediter type van or straight truck. I live in central Florida on the East Coast in Melbourne.

What are the pros and cons of driving a straight truck versus expediter van? Also, how hard is it to get in and out of Florida? How long are you gone in comparison to your typical non-expedite trucking company?

I appreciate all the feedback and I will be getting my CDL back before March 2023. The one thing that’s holding me up is, I’m getting bariatric weight, loss surgery and once I get my CDL, I have to complete their program meaning the medical program.

Thanks,
Hunter

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Sprinterish cargo Van's do not need a cdl to drive which is why there are always so many warm bodys driving them.....
Sprinterish van
No cdl
No hours of service
Can go just about
anywhere

Do to hours of service your bound to where you park for the night......you don't have that problem with a van.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I drove 53' for a few months then dropped to a 40' 33k straight truck for a few years then a Chev. G3500 for a few years. You can always put a small load in a big truck but not vice-versa. In my 40' truck I had 2 loads each about the size of a shoebox and 1 load a box holding a 2 gallon jug of chemical. I also had a few loads of 2-3 drums on a skid. All could have gone in a van but there were none at that moment. If I were going back out again I would be in the tallest, longest Ford Transit with the highest GVW not exceeding 9999 pounds. As you do your due diligence studying here on EO be sure to look for the threads where Moot shares his experiences and costs operating his Transit van. Very enlightening and educational.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbolover53

turbolover53

New Recruit
Researching
I made some calls today and found out they typically meaning they the fleet owners want you to be out for three weeks then home for about five days. Also I’ve been watching expedite America on YouTube.