Does it pay to be a single driver?

HoboOfTheHwy

Expert Expediter
I would like to know if I would make it in the expediting business, as far as being a single driver,with a straight truck?My wife got her permit to drive, but she has made up her mind not to go otr,among other problems. I know the bad drawback is short loads,because of the 10 hour drive time.I am a company driver now,but looking to get out on the road with a straight truck,vice driving 18 wheeler which I do now.The good thing I want to move to Ohio next year,where most of the companies are.Can someone tell me what i should do, and tell me what companies hire single drivers for straight trucks? If need be,Ill settle for a cargo van. Thanks

Not Happy In Florida:-(

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just about all the straight trucks you see on the highway doing OTR expediting are independently owned, by either an owner/operator or a fleet owner. They are leased to the respective companies labeled on the truck, and are not owned by those companies. So, if you want to get into a straight truck without owning it and do expediting, you will need to find a fleet owner to drive for. The EO classifieds are a good place to look for a driving opportunity. The pay and whatnot varies as you will work this out with the truck (or van) owner.
Can you make a living doing expediting solo? Yes, as I have been for the past 3 years. I do, however, own my truck and manage my own business. If I were only making a 30% cut as a driver for someone else though, I would not be making it or would really have to bust my butt to make it. I average about 1500 miles a week running solo, but all the truck revenue is mine as the owner. I subtract all my running expenses from this, and that's my pay. No, I don't make a fortune. Anyone who does expediting and tells you they do is a liar.
Probably the only way to make any money driving for someone else in expediting is as a team. The truck needs to be leased to a good company that will give it at least 3000 miles a week. I would get your wife to go with you that way you don't have to split pay 50/50 with so to say "me" as a teammate. You keep the money in your family.
Things are sort of unstable in the expedited freight business right now, so you might be best off sticking with the 18 wheeler for a while.
Take care-
--Weave--

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hi HoboOfTheHwy,

Maybe your wife might reconsider the whole OTR issue - if is is done in a Straight Truck. Some women feel more comfortable operating a smaller truck. Overall, your revenue and opportunities will be much higher if you can operate as a husband/wife team.

Best wishes,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi HoboOfTheHwy!
Both Weave and Lawrence told you the right thing. The one asset to moving to the Buckeye is the trucking industry. Solo is okay but team is better in a straight truck and even in a van for that matter. I would only ditto the other two guys so I'll say by:'( Keep coming back : Later

Good Luck, Tony
[email protected]