Does DVA really exits?

G

One really has to wonder if this new multi million dollar software exits. It is suppossed to cut down on deadhead. I must admit that for the most part it has done that. However, the system is said to be capable to doing multiple calculation per min in assigning layover. Why then will it give us options which make no sense. Example. Deliver to Erie center. DVA gives St Marys as first choice (168 miles and no vans dispatched that day) Second choice Erie (1 van dispatched 3 laying over) Cleveland not and option (9 vans dispatched, 2 laying over).

Also, have you ever asked for relocation. They usually tell you to check after 1800. When you check at night, they tell you planning has gone for the day.

What are your thoughts?

Ridgerunner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I've asked my C.C. about it and get no good answer. As far as relo's go, it's just typical "pass the buckism". They want you where you are for as long as possible so they can cover an area, so the longer they can put you off the better for them. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but, they lie. I know, I know, it came as a big shock to me too when I first found out, but I've caught them in lies and confronted them about them and they do what any highly trained, professional dispatcher would do when faced with revealing a company secret,.....they put you on hold till you hang up.

L8er, Ridgerunner and Ruger {my dog}

G

DVA- Driver's Victimized Again

Just like Ridgerunner said, they lie! From the upper levels of management on down to the newest dispatcher, they lie! Why? Because it's in their best interest to lie and keep the contractor in the dark as much as possible. In the case of the layover options presented above, they're usually going to staff the smaller centers first when they can because they know they'll have enough inbounds to the larger centers like Cleveland to cover that center. Plus, Cleveland has enough express centers close to it to draw from. It's always in their best interest to find someone willing to sit in one of their slow express centers for as long as they can stand it; now they've got a truck there to cover the rare load, why not, it's not costing them anything for a driver to sit in a parking lot and they figure after a day or two, that driver will take just about any load offered, regardless of pay or DH miles to pickup. It's just another example of what a scam business expediting can be. As far as this "hi-tech" DVA goes, let's not forget that they can program ANYTHING they want into it. And since lying to the contractor is S.O.P. anyway, they can tell us anything they want to about how the DVA operates, how can we know? The bottom line is, they've always stacked the deck on their side and always will. With the exception of larger fleet owners, they don't care if the single contractor makes a living or not, they figure there's always another truck to take his place. Sorry if this post is too negative, but after 10 years in the business, that's just the way I see it.

G

I don't get drivers like you. You give the rest of us a bad name.
If you don't like their system...LEAVE!
It's not a perfect system, but it works a lot better than other companies systems.
Cut your losses and leave the freight there for me.
Quit whinning!
Drive safe.
Rod

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I agree Rod. How can you make assumptions that they lie because it is
in their best interest? Does that mean that us drivers need to lie
to our companies and dispatchers because it will be in "our" best interest?
I think not!

Come on friends, get off the negative route and stay in the middle of the road.
Work with what you have or change ships. But be careful. Constantly
changing ships can be a hazardous route if you become a "cruise-o-matic" -
it will eventually bite you, and that's usually because you're not willing to
do what it takes to work in this wonderful industry. If you still can't seem to
work within your means, maybe it's time to choose another industry and let
the rest of us do our jobs. -Marty