Dodge 1 ton P/U with CTX

PAT

Expert Expediter
I would like to get some information on driving for CTX using a dodge 3500 with topper. I understand CTX is the only company that hires trucks for expediting. I was planing on buying a van but by reading recommendations from the experienced drivers to lease on with someone to find out if it is something I am going to like doing before investing in a van, I all ready have the truck. Any information you can give me would be highly appreciated.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You may want to read some of the posts on this site, Every advertiser on this site hires trucks and vans. Unless your not talking about leasing on with a company as a primary, and only doing trip leasing. Then to there are many companies that handle LTL freight that will trip lease. To do this you the owner/driver must have your own authority, and insurance of at least 1mill/100thou, and some want 200thou.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> I understand CTX is the only
>company that hires trucks for expediting.

That's not a TRUCK!
That'sa pick up,the Y2002 equivalent of a 1970's muscle car.
Those are the vehicles that get the headlines "TRUCK CRASHES" in the local paper. Only when you read the details, do you find out it was a kid driving an over-powered pick up.

To answer your question; it probably won't be a good idea if it's one of those that can pass everything except the next gas station. Trucking, including expediting, is a business. You will need the proper tool, a properly spec'ed truck. A personal vehicle isn't designed to haul freight.

And, please, don't come on a truckers site, saying you have a TRUCK when you are refering to a personal vehicle.

Rob Archer
Curmudgeon

PAT

Expert Expediter
All I asked for was a simple answer from someone that drives a PICK UP or is knowledgeable of the PICK UP division with CTX they also haul auto parts just like the cargo vans.
REF: CTX WEB SITE UNDER O/O JOB DESCRIPTION.
And, please, RobA if you don’t have any information pertaining to the topic, I don’t need to waste time reading that type of feedback.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Pat:

I know CTX used to use pick-up trucks, but I don't know anyone else who does.. I have seen CTX signs on 4 door crew cab trucks, and once in Detroit, even on a little Ford Ranger. I would contact them directly and query as to whether they still accept them, and what the requirements are. Also, as a long time member here, let me apologize for your rude reception. I'm sure you are welcome to ask any questions here you like!

Rob A.: What the heck was that? He asked a legitimate question? Just for information, this is NOT JUST a trucker site... not every one drives trucks! The drivers here are Expediters, and drive everything from Semi's and Straight Trucks, to Cargo Vans, Pick-ups and even Mini Van's. Is a mini van driver (A unit) still a "trucker"? I think not! But he is still a professional driver... an Expediter.

PAT

Expert Expediter
Thanks Dreamer, I do appreciate the professional response, from a professional I’m sure. Drive safe.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can remember seeing CTX A units that were Ford Rangers with caps on them,also some guy used to have a Pick Up with a small RV body on it,and he ran for CTX. Frankly you are probably not going to get too much business with that type of vehicle. I havn!t seen a A unit in quite a while. I would check this out thoroughly with CTX and ask to see what percentage of their freight would be dispatched on the type of vehicle you propose.
I think the other fellow was out of line with his response to you but you have to agree about one thing.When a pick up causes an accident the headlines scream,truck hits " stopped vehicle,pedestrians,school bus, rowboat",take your pick. Then usually in the last paragraph of the story it describes the Ford F150 or Chevy pickup in question. I have even called one of the local TV stations where I live to complain about this and got blown away by the Ken and Barbie newsroom personel.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>> I understand CTX is the only
>>company that hires trucks for expediting.
>
>That's not a TRUCK! ---AND WHY NOT?
>That'sa pick up,the Y2002 equivalent of a 1970's muscle car.---THEN WHY DO ALL TRUCKERS WANT TO OWN A PICK UP TRUCK?
>Those are the vehicles that get the headlines "TRUCK
>CRASHES" in the local paper. Only when you read the details,
>do you find out it was a kid driving an over-powered pick
>up. ---MOST OF THE ARTICLES I READ STATE IT AS A PICK UP TRUCK
!
>
>To answer your question; it probably won't be a good idea if
>it's one of those that can pass everything except the next
>gas station. Trucking, including expediting, is a business.
>You will need the proper tool, a properly spec'ed truck. A
>personal vehicle isn't designed to haul freight.---DON'T EXPEDITERS USE MINI VANS AND CARS?
>
>And, please, don't come on a truckers site, saying you have
>a TRUCK when you are refering to a personal vehicle.---I HATE TO BE THE ONE TO BUST YOUR BUBBLE, COME TO THINK OF IT YES I WOULD LOVE TO BE THE ONE TO BUST IT, BUT I'LL BE NICE. THIS IS AN EXPEDITERS SITE. A SITE WHERE WE CAN ALL GET ALONG. DRIVERS OF CARS, VANS, TRUCKS, PLANES, OR BIKES. YOU SOUND LIKE THE TYPE OF DRIVER WE CALL THE CB RAMBO, BEHIND THE MIKE TALKS ALL THAT BS, BUT IS THE SAME GUY THAT WHEN MET FACE TO FACE WILL OPEN THE DOOR FOR YA. GUYS THAT TALK LIKE YOU ARE HAVE THAT BIG TRUCK SYNDROME. I DRIVE A VAN AND DON'T HAVE HALF THE HEADACHES THAT YOU DO, AND I'M WILLING TO BET YOU THAT I MAKE 2 MAYBE 3 TIMES THE MONEY IN A WEEK THAN YOU DO. YOU NEED TO WAKE UP AND SMELL LIFE. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D TONY aka:teacel
>
>Rob Archer
>Curmudgeon

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Boy, I seem to hit a nerve.
I appologise if I seemed like a "CB RAMBO". That wasn't my intension at all.
I was trying to make the following point, if it is a truck designed to be a personal transportation vehilcle it won't be a good idea.
Expediting is Trucking. It is a specialized niche of trucking but still Trucking. The size of the truck changes but whether it is a mini van or a tractor trailer, expediters are (mostly) leased to a motor carrier and in the BUSINESS of providing transportation.
It is a business, and to be successful, requires proper equipment.
Tony: You probably make twice or three time the money I do,because you treat it as a business.I'm sure you get the equipment to do the job properly.
The original line of the post said "CTX is the only carrier that hires TRUCKS". He didn't say pickups with caps.He said TRUCKS. I object to young guys in pick'em ups calling themselves "truckers". I object to the news media sensationalizing "truck crashes" and "truckers cause crash" when refering to pick ups.( and mini vans and SUVS).
Expediters must have superior driving skills to be able to survive the mayhem of modern highways. That in my book makes them "Professional Truckers". Expediters need top notch business skills to be successful. The size of the vehicle is inmaterial.
That was my point.
Thank you for reading this message.

PAT

Expert Expediter
I would like to clear up any misunderstandings. My intentions was to keep my initial question short and to the point hoping to touch base with someone familiar with using a P/U truck for expediting with CTX. I am not a kid with a ½ ton, stepside, short bed, with big tires. I’m 53 yrs. old, retired in 1988 (20yrs.) from military. My truck is a 97 Dodge 1 ton dully, diesel, 18 - 20 mpg. Empty. I purchased it to transport new RV’s in 2000 when I got layed off, I did that for seven Months really enjoyed driving and seeing the country but too much deadhead. I was recalled back to work (Boeing Aircraft Co.) 9 mo. Later the 9/11 tragedy another layoff I seen an article for expediting from FXCC and started gathering information, came across Expediters online.com and have been reading it about a year, it is the most informative sit for expediting that I know of. I do have a class A cdl with endorsements, I don’t have a lot of experience as a trucker but do consider myself a professional.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Pat,
You don't owe anyone an explanation. Don't let it get the best of you. You are right about this site, but Mother site can't always control what the kids do. In my books your question was a very good one. The only dumb question is the one that is not ask.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey RobA! there wasn't any nerve hit here (I don't have any, I'm a big wuss). It is just that Pat is new to the site as you are, and we really don't know his sensitivity level, and don't want to run him away from the site. Also others see or read the posts and when they see something like this, it will keep them from becoming involved. Your apology is accepted by me if it was ment for me.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi- I remember a few years back there were a bunch of pickups on with Thompson Emergency. I used to laugh, thinking they would even take bicycles with baskets.
I saw this weekend a CTX Dodge Ram 4X4 with a unique topper- It was a small van box, and the long bed with this high box would probably fit two pallets. I guess the 4X4 would be an advantage in the winter. It's center of gravity might be a bit higher than a van making it less stable, but if they pay it a B unit rate I see no reason why it wouldn't work with that type of top.
-Weave-

PAT

Expert Expediter
Hi Weave
When I talked with the recruiter for CTX he said the topper needs to be high enough with a door wide enough to load 2 4x4 pallets, he also said the P/U truck division was making $500. - $1200. Week, I am not sure what the average income is for a van but I thought if it is about the same, my start up cost would be minimal, if I decide this business is not what I expected I wouldn’t be out that much. My goal would be to get a larger vehicle with adequate creature comfort. I also thought about driving for someone but living in the Wichita, Ks. Area would be hard to find.

I appreciate the information.
Drive safe, Pat.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Pat,
I was pulling out of the Toledo Express Airport, last night and as I was leaving I past a pick up truck that had a box on the back of it, and a sign that said CTX. Just wanted to let you know that there are still people out there expediting with pick up trucks. Good Luck!!!!!

dog

Expert Expediter
I like this sight, this is an example of why, question starts a controversy, and when it finally closes to an end, is loaded with all kinds of information. But most of all the parties involved express their opinions, directly good or bad, and mis interpretations are cleared up in a mature and adult nature. Every one wins.:)