Dock time?

cfralick

Active Expediter
Can anyone tell me is there much dock time in expediting?
seems to me it should'nt be much unless the product is not ready, i drove t/t for many years and that always drove me nuts, rested and ready to roll only to have to wait several hours to be loaded or unloaded, I know there will be down time between loads, yhanks fo any input, clay

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
im in a cv as well and i have been on a buch of finger print loads and i usually get a dock right as i come threw the gates and it still takes me around 45 minutes ... im startin to like finger print loads keepin me in shape lol still cant wait for a lil more time in will be nice to not have to load and unload so much lol

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
In a straight truck, if it is ready, they will usually load you quickly.
Unloading is rarely a problem because there is usually someone waiting for it.
But there are times when you will wait at either or both ends.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Some shippers of high value produces (White Glove) don't even begin to prepare the shipment until they see the truck on the ground at their location. That's their priority of work. Get truck on property, prepare shipment.

At our former carrier, we were not usually told that such delays would be encountered and detention time was sometimes but not consistently paid. Over the years we came to know which shippers tend to keep us waiting.

I don't think we ever declined a load because of it. We have a nice sleeper and waiting was usually not a problem. You could say productivity was degraded because of the wait but this is expediting and you don't know that you won't be waiting at the other end for your next load. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

The agents who dispatch freight at our new carrier tend to be in closer touch with and more knowledgeable about the shipment and the customer (the people who set up the order are the same people who dispatch the trucks), and if there will be a delay going in, we are told about it. If the wait is long enough to trigger detention time, the agents have brought it up before we asked.

The above mentioned loads are the exceptions. With either carrier, most loads are loaded and unloaded quickly. It is expedited freight after all.

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
In a cargo van most of the time its anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour usually. I have been at the shipper waiting for freight for 3-4 hours which usually happens 1-2 times a month.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Most of the time..1/2 hr or less. Sometimes an hour. One thing that you will get every once in a while is a shipper who orders the truck and is loading it directly off the production line. They want to get as much as they can on the truck before it leaves. I have had some long waits before for this.

One of the most common wait times is when your picking up anywhere west of the Eastern Time Zone. Most of the expedite carriers operate on EST and at least with my carrier, they are supposed to adjust all dispatch times to EST. Many times they don't and if your in a CST zone you may be there an hour earlier than you thought. Many times I will show up an hour or two early if the dispatch comes in way ahead of the pickup time..and there ya sit not only for that 1 or 2 hours, but another one because of dispatch error. Not too big of a deal really.

The one thing you have to remember in this business is that the customer is paying dearly to have a very small amount of freight shipped when compared to t/t freight. They are paying for and expect good service with a smile, whether that means special care, patience for them to produce as many parts as possible before they let you go or whatever. This segment of the trucking industry demands more patience and more attention to customer service than some others. It can be easy for the driver to forget this (myself included) but I'm guessing the customer doesn't forget.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
It varies,but expedited shippers and receivers are use to paying detention,so ifyour with a good company,dont worry about sitting,you will get paid for it

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Sometimes, if it's the destination that is picking up the bill, the shipper is not in a huge hurry since they are not paying the bill. If they tell me it's going to be a long wait to get loaded I let dispatch know who in turn calls the company paying the bill.

Normally with-in 5 to 10 minutes the phone at the shipper is ringing and low and behold, pull up to door 1, we'll get you loaded!

While waiting is sometimes unavoidable, always keep your dispatchers in the loop. They can sometimes nudge the process for you.

I did just that the other day. 15-20 TT/ST's waiting to load (all local/otr trucks. did not see any expediters). Van dock empty. So I backed up the van dock and went in.

"it'll be 8 hours before we can get you loaded. have a seat over there"

Called dispatch who called the company paying the wait time to find out how long they are willing to pay..

Phone in the shipping office rings and 5 minutes later the freight is on my van.