Do you really know

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was told that if I open up my exhaust from 2 pipes going into 1 muffler and 1 tail pipe that I would get better gas mileage. Someone told me to go to 2 pipes and 2 mufflers and 2 tail pipes, and my gas mileage will increase. When I ask a muffler shop about it, he told me that a Chevy exhaust is best mixed and Chevy has it set up the best way for the best performance. Can anyone tell me the best way to go for the best over all performance, and gas mileage?

How about it weave, you've spun a wrench or two in your day, you too Rich, and Bill you guys have alot of knowledge on this type of stuff?
Joe B. can you answer this? or tell me who to call?

The new Express van 3500 is getting high 14 to low 15 miles per gallon on the run. It has the 5.7 vortec gas engine.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve my gas mileage???????

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm not going to say these things will REALLY help with MPG, but of course my NASCAR loving WVA redneck buddies swear they do add a mile or two and enhance performance on their Chevy Silverados with 5.7's. I don't really know what kind of hop-ups are available for a van though.
1- Full flowmaster dual exhaust system (even if it doesn't add MPG, the van will SOUND cool! Great for picking up white-trash chicks!)
2- K&N filtercharger air filter
3- Performance computer chipset
4- LOTS of high performance window decals

A good source for items 1-3 are the Chevy high performance magazines. You have to buy some of the stuff and find out it just adds a bunch of noise and erratic operation to get #4. Seriously, 15 MPG doesn't sound too bad to me for a gas van with a load on it.
-Weave-
YEEEHAWWW!!

G

I'll go with what Weave said about the exhaust, although I think generic "turbo" mufflers would work as well. The pipe would have to be custom made, but most muffler places can do it. You'd probably have to buy a second catalytic converter, since most places will not remove them, and you'd likely get busted by EPA.

Fifteen MPG really isn't all that bad, we had a Chevy cube van and averaged 8.5, tops.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Chevy performance magazine and trucktrend magazine list all the stuff you need for performance. I have the same engine in my tahoe and get around 15-16 mpg highway. From what I have read, intake and exhaust is real importantant when trying to get better mpg. There are legal headers and exhaust systems that will help raise your mpg and better response to throttle. There are chips that can replace your original computer chip for improvement too. Some have selecter settings for different load variations. Not sure if it would void your warrenty though. Truck tend had a web page at www.trucktrend.com . the other is www.performanceproducts.com . Good luck
Randy:)