Do we have a future?

jasonsmith

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Im new to all this but im highly interested ever since i stumbled
on to this way of life. I have a CDL class B w/Hazmat and my wife has a class C/w hazmat...one big thing that cuts our job offers in half i believe is that we can only drive automatic transmission so we would be directed to cargo vans only i imagine. Anyhow, we would love to travel and do this if we can be home on weekends to enjoy homelife then get right back out there on monday again...now she haz diabetes and was told the law says she cant operate a commerical motor vehicle but this van is a van right? not a CMV...so she can drive with me teamed.
then of course theirs lodging,food,fuel,and tolls...so thats a big chunk of money a week (near 500 right?) but with both of us driving we still should do just fine...we're here in ohio with crap jobs both pulling in 500 a week together, anything is better than this, plus it would be fun...do we have a future?

Levi

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife and I run an "auto shift" transmission in a class 8 Western Star. The single difference between the autoshift and an automatic transmission is that you must use the clutch when starting from a stop and when you are stopping. The transmission will shift automatically. The autoshift is available in both heavy duty (class 8 highway tractors) and medium duty (class 7 - 5) tractors and straight trucks as well. They will run you about $4,000.00 or so more than the standard 6 or 7 speed or the non-synchronized 9 speeds and "super 10". I also am a diabetic and have been for many years. The D.O.T. will not allow anyone who is insulin dependent to work commercially with their CDL, but if the disease is controlled with oral medication, diet, and exercise, you may drive commercially in either the class A or B market.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
With the B and C cdls you both have, you're qualified to drive a Class C truck with hydraulic brakes. If you really want a truck with air brakes (why?), you'll also have to pass the air brake endorsement.

If you're going to be driving as a team, a B unit is really cramped, while a C truck offers the same room and creature comforts as a D, except cheaper to buy and operate.

My wife has a C cdl and had never driven a 6 speed until I taught her. She'll tell you, if she could learn then anybody could. If you have your heart set on an auto transmission, count on spending at least $10k more plus having to buy new, while used 6 speeds can be found. We have one we're trying to sell now (or put someone in to drive).

Vernon in C2197

DriverLLC

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A cargo van is still classified as a commercial motor vehicle. If I were you I would get an llc, *psc, usdot, icc, your own authority to run in the states that you would care to run in, some cargo and liability insurance, and i guarantee that if you can make friends with some of the local businessis you will make an easy 2500-3000 a week. currently i drive a cargo van for someone else, just me not tandem and i usually make about 1200 a week- about 300 for fuel and then im also home on the weekends. If you want to do some easy research go to your state offices transportation and service websights, they should have some good info for you.