do most companies charge driver for sattelite

sniper1stdiv

Expert Expediter
hello drivers i was curious if most expedite companies charge the drivers of self owned truck for the companyies tracking system,.if so i don't think its right
sniper

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Schneider and Roberts Express were the first nationwide companies to use the QualComm Mobile Communications Terminals (MCT), putting them in service in 1989. When first introduced, the owner/operators paid $18.75 per week and were happy to do so. It eliminated all but the pickup call-in, kept the carrier apprised of our location and proximity to a customer and made life on the road a lot easier for an expediter.

Roberts Express is Now FedEx Custom Critical and they charge the owner/operator $25 per week to lease the MCT. I heard that some companies do not directly charge the owners, and other charge as much as $37.50 per week.

The carriers, of course, say they need to charge for the use of the MCT so that we can maintain our independent contractor status with the IRS.

Terry

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Terry, ever noticed how much money we put out or how many things we miss out on because "we are contractors"? I wonder how much is this really is the straight of story. I bet if we simply clearly sign a contract/document saying we are contractors and will not sue for any employee type benefits, The IRS would be satisfied. In other words I sometimes think companies use this as an excuse to short us or to take us. Know what I mean

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy
3 years without full use of my mind