Definitions please....

cliffn

Expert Expediter
Would someone please define a couple of terms for me? They are "wet sleeve" and "parent-bore". Thanks for the help.
:)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A parent bore truck engine block is like that of a car engine- to re-bore it it must be removed from the frame of the vehicle and bored out on a machine. In other words the cylinder bores are part of the block itself.
With a wet-sleeve, the bores are sleeves that are inserted into the block. When the engine's head and oil pan are removed, the pistons and cylinder sleeves can be removed as one. This makes an in-frame rebuild possible, and most larger truck engines, plus engines used on large equipment and locomotives are of this type. The sleeve can be made of much better material than the block more cost-effectively, and these sleeves usually last longer than the material used to make parent bore blocks. It is not uncommon to see a wet-sleeve truck engine go a million miles or more before needing a rebuild, and when it does the engine can stay on the truck's frame, so the rebuild is cheaper.

cliffn

Expert Expediter
Thanks Weave for the info..Could you give me a couple examples of some wet-sleeve engines and some that are parent-bore.. I assume that in some of the smaller engines put in expediters that they probably use a parent-bore which a person should probably steer clear of. Is this correct? Thanks again.:) :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Parent bore engines are not built for high-mileage highway use. Some common parent bore engines seen on expediter trucks are the CAT 3126, Cummins B5.9/ISB, and Mercedes MBE900, and the International T444/Ford Powerstroke.
Common wet sleeves are the Cummins C8.3/ISC, International DT466/466E, DDC Series 50 4 cylinder, and all the big engines from CAT, Detroit, Cummins, Mack, Volvo, Etc.
One note- the Cummins B5.9/ISB has a huge block and deck surface, and can be overbored and have sleeves inserted to make it a wet sleeve engine. It is the least of the evils as far as parent bores go as it is cheap to repair or replace.
-Weave-