Deductions

jbolton

Seasoned Expediter
If you drove for an o/o and are receiving a 10-99 what can you deduct. we received 60% of load and 100% FSC . Here's all I can come up with.
Fuel/ Fuel Tax/Tolls
Per Diem
GPS
Comdata Fees
Weekly Comp Ins
Cell Phone
Rental car to attend orientation?
Washing of clothes? - Showers?
Steel toe boots?
Office supplies/ Faxing
Office room in our house used strictly for our business?
Internet? to find loads

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Deductions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you drove for an o/o and are receiving a 10-99 what can you deduct. we received 60% of load and 100% FSC . Here's all I can come up with.
Fuel/ Fuel Tax/Tolls
Per Diem
GPS
Comdata Fees
Weekly Comp Ins
Cell Phone
Steel toe boots?
Office supplies/ Faxing
Internet? to find loads

There is 1 item that I really do not like to take, and that is your home office, the reason is this.

1. You have to depreciate your house over 39 years at straight line depreciation and have to separate house and land at fair market value. Plus if you decide to sell your home, you have to recapture any depreciation that was taken for the home office.

2. If you drive as a team, then the home office can only be used for the time that you are home. So if your out 300 days on the road, you only get 65 or less days as a deduction and not at the full amount, it is based on the percentage of use, total size of the room, total area of the house. then the expenses are pro rated based on the % of use.

I have a listing that you can get from me, but you have to e-mail me directly at [email protected] in order for you to receive it.

Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB
Franks Tax & Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings MOuntain, NC 28086
704-739-4039

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Fuel/ Fuel Tax/Tolls
Per Diem
GPS
Comdata Fees
Weekly Comp Ins
Cell Phone
Steel toe boots?
Office supplies/ Faxing
Internet? to find loads
dont for get:
uniforms
sattelite radio,it has weather channel
cb radio,for road conditions
dont use the room in your house,to difficult if you sell it

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
What if you was on the road 300 days and you hired your kid to come into your home office and search for loads for you.and say you have someone take care of the place a groundskeeper would you then take the home office deduction and groundskeeper pay?

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Re: Deductions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if you was on the road 300 days and you hired your kid to come into your home office and search for loads for you.and say you have someone take care of the place a groundskeeper would you then take the home office deduction and groundskeeper pay?

1.First of all do you have your own authority

2. hiring a KID????, how old and what does he know about trucking. if you have a laptop, you can do that from the road.

3. If your Married and your wife does not work, she can do it but you would have to keep track of how many hours a day the home office is actually used,

4. The home office is also based on the area of the room that you are using, and it must not contain, a TV, Sofa, Recliner, or any other personal property. except a desk, computer, printer, desk chair, business telephone line, and only office supplies, and anything for a regular office. I know he or she will not stay all day to moniter the load boards. Loads are not normally are ready for posting until around Noon of each day.

5. if you are going to pay for his services, he will have to be an employee, if not related, and you would have to pay federal withholding tax, Social Security and Medicare tax, Have a payroll checking account, pay quarterly payroll taxes, and provide workmens compensation for your employees. Plus you would also have to have a separate checking account for your business no matter what, it would be easier for you if you are audited, and I know for a fact that the IRS in an audit would want to see your business checking account, and your business payroll account. they have to be 2 separate accounts.

6 As far as a Landscaper/Groundskeeper, yes he is a listed deduction and not part of your home office, If you pay him over $600, you have to make out a 1099MISC to him for the $$$ as income to him. and an deduction for you as contract labor.

7. The home office deduction is based on the following:

1: Square footage of the room you are using for the office.
2: Total square footage of your total living space in the home. including basements, garage, etc
3. other expenses that pertain to the home, Mortgage Interest, Real estate Taxes, Utilities, electric, gas, garbage, water, sewer. repairs, landscaping, fencing, etc.
4. here is the way it works, the total area of the home, x the area of the office will give a percentage of the home office deduction by the hours used,.
that percentage inturn is expensed by that percentage, so all of the items mentioned in #3 will be figured by that percentage.
5 so if your house is 2000 square feet, and your office is a 8x10, which is 80 square feet, using the math, you would be at roughly 16% use, so only 16% of the total above would be deducted plus the depreciation of the house., the difference of the mortgage interest, real estate taxes would carry over to your Schedule A ( itemized Deduction) and if your itemized deduction add up ot less than $11,400, the Schedule A would be disallowed and the standard deduction would be used. the actual deduction would be figured on your Schedule C, after all other expenses are deducted if you are a sole propreitor.

I will be glad to answer any question that you would like to know about, if I do not know the answer, please give me about 4 days to investigate you question.

Or if you would like please email me directly at [email protected]

Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB
Franks Tax & Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.

dgirdner

Seasoned Expediter
As a driver (independant contractor) driving a cargo van for an owner, can I use the standard vehicle deduction? Thank you.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes you can use the standard mileage deduction less 15% for personal use.

Frank

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
dgirdner said:
As a driver (independant contractor) driving a cargo van for an owner, can I use the standard vehicle deduction? Thank you.

Yes you can use the standard mileage deduction less 15% for personal use. Frank

If the driver takes the mileage deduction, what does the owner of the vehicle get to claim as his expenses in providing the vehicle? Doesn't the standard mileage deduction take into account more than just the fuel, which is all the driver is paying for?

Sorry, this driver has not even stated whether he pays for the fuel, so... the owner could be paying for that expense as well. Are these things (fuel, R&M, lease pymts, whatever) not what the mileage deduction is in place of? Therefore why would a driver get to claim the mileage deduction if he doesn't pay any or all of that?

Last edited:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Wait a minute. Are you saying as drivers for a truck owner we also get to claim milage? I thought only the person that owns the vehicle could claim the mileage? Just filed my taxes online Sunday. Hope I didn't miss a good deduction there. Someone anwser right away so I can file a correction if I need to? :eek:

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Wait a minute. Are you saying as drivers for a truck owner we also get to claim milage? I thought only the person that owns the vehicle could claim the mileage? Just filed my taxes online Sunday. Hope I didn't miss a good deduction there. Someone anwser right away so I can file a correction if I need to? :eek:

We claimed the miles on our last taxes. If its legal or not, I could not say. As we were using turbo tax and it asked us all these questions, but it did not ask what we paid for the vehicle, so we figured it was not asking so it could take depreciation from the truck value. If someone could answer this question, because we haven't filed yet and would like to know if this is actually legal or not.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
We claimed the miles on our last taxes. If its legal or not, I could not say. As we were using turbo tax and it asked us all these questions, but it did not ask what we paid for the vehicle, so we figured it was not asking so it could take depreciation from the truck value. If someone could answer this question, because we haven't filed yet and would like to know if this is actually legal or not.

Yeah, I use Turbotax also. I just went to Turbotax.online under the question and anwser section and it says if you drive a company vehicle the milage is not deductible.

Turbotax was expensive. On Sunday I did my taxes at turbotaxonline.com cost 140.00 to file with them. Don't remember it being that expensive last year?

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
They are free if only youmake so much. Don't remember what the qualification is for it to be free. To file state, they have always charged. Last year we made to much for the free part of it, so we had to pay for federal and state to e-file. If I remember correctly what you quoted sounds about right.