Deductions ???

KYoung

Expert Expediter
Is there an accounting program, a book, ANYTHING that will give me the basics on what I can deduct? I know the IRS has booklets, but they confuse more than help, I just want something to help me keep within the boundaries of deductions. Questions include but not limited to Clothes, food (per diem or not to per diem), DVD's, Movie Tickets or shows when in Vegas, Motels even though we have a sleeper, restaruants, xm and sirius, credit interest, cell phones, internet card, satellite tv, and so on.

Ken

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is there an accounting program, a book, ANYTHING that will give me the basics on what I can deduct? I know the IRS has booklets, but they confuse more than help, I just want something to help me keep within the boundaries of deductions.

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the slight delay in getting back to you since your Post.

If you want to do your own bookkeeping that is up to you, but it is time comsuming keeping all the information together unless you plan on doing it either daily or weekly. which would actually be the most econominal and practial. No receipt lost or misplaced etc.

There are a few professional accounting programs for truck drivers that are available, but they are a module system that combines the full aspect of Dispatch, routing, Cash flow, etc, You can search these on the internet, but the prices are very high,

or you can find some that are under $200.00

Trucker Buddy, Truck Trax, Dieselboss download, plus a number of others, or you can use a basic program like Quicken Home and Business, or even Quicken Basic for $40.00
You can also use MS Works or EXCEL Spread Sheets with no problem, it just depends which you prefer.

Questions include but not limited to Clothes, food (per diem or not to per diem), DVD's, Movie Tickets or shows when in Vegas, Motels even though we have a sleeper, restaruants, xm and sirius, credit interest, cell phones, internet card, satellite tv, and so on.

1. Clothes, Not deductible unless there is a Company Logo on them but you can take 2 pair of the following,
work pants,(Dickies) not jeans or shorts.
Work Boots, Must be Steel tipped only. no sneakers,western boots or any other type of shoe.

2 Food is the per diem reimbursement for being on the Road, but it is not available to local drivers who are home every night.

3. XM and Sirrus contractual aggreements are deductible, plus the price of the equipment, which must be depreciated

4. Motels, cell phone(Business use Only percentage) internet card, satellite TV only the equipment,

5. DVD, Movies, Shows satellite TV (The IRS says NO, but they are used anyway) these items will only be deducted at 50%

Please E-mail me direct at [email protected] and you can receive a full deductible listing from me at no charge.