Decent diesel shop in the Fresno or Bay areas?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
We're on our way out to Cali, and the head gasket is going. Leaking oil, but no coolant. Called 3 different Detroit and Freightliner shops, and the time estimates I've gotten range from 8 to 24 hours, and from $95 to $112 per hour, with one guy repeatedly mentioning an EGR cooler.

Instead of me enriching struggling sales places with their unnecessary labor and parts, I'm looking for someone that strictly does service.

Anyone know of any?

And while I'm on the subject, why is it so hard to find people that are students of their respective trades? Why is it so difficult to find people that are good at and generally enjoy what they do?

And since I'm ranting, can someone please tell the bigshots at TA that the P-traps that were installed in their facilities' floor drains were not placed there to INVITE sewer gases in. Try dumping a little water, and maybe even a scoche of bleach in them sometimes. Contrary to what you may believe, truckers are not lured into your joints because we are enticed by the scent of fermenting caca. We're only there for the cheap fuel.

I almost feel better now. Thanks for listening. Now, back to my regularly scheduled question: Diesel shop, anyone?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just wondering who did the diagnosing. If there's no coolant issue, maybe it's just a valve cover gasket.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Yes,i don't want to write a book about it so i'll stick to the basics.Had one of my teams take it in with a fuel leak nobody could see.I go there number off NTTS,they were about 5 miles from the place.This was on a Fri,there not open on weekends so i told them i would like them to tell me what it is and go from there.He told me what his guessed he'd have them rolling in a couple hrs.He was right on both accounts,and gave me a option of a quick fix till i got it back east or for about 100$ and a extra hour of there time,to fix the cause not the symtom.His guess was write on there's lines that go into the injectors and they get loose the fuel settles on a pan under the engine and collects there,when i told him i had a M2 wth the MBE he said that's very common to that engine.He warned about the EGR cooler since at the time my was original.He said he never saw one with over 300,000 that didn't need replacing,and of course 298,000 mine went.There's over 60,000 on trk since there repair and no fuel leaks.