Dead head miles?

seekerman

Expert Expediter
I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and here's wishing you all a great new year. Question: Are dead head miles deductible like loaded miles? Thanks!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and here's wishing you all a great new year. Question: Are dead head miles deductible like loaded miles? Thanks!

if in a cv..i'd say yes..every mile paid or not is a business expense when in service...

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you might want to check but i thought as a business you were suppose to claim fuel and maintenance not the mileage.

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
I've always taken mileage...with higher MPG and back then a new van the actual expenses were quite a bit lower.

Thanks for the info. I have another question.Besides the miles can you still deduct cell phone,and other related expenses?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info. I have another question.Besides the miles can you still deduct cell phone,and other related expenses?

Yes... like ice for the cooler if ya have one...propane if you heat that way..or gas for the generator..motel rooms..tolls...

washer fluid/any fluids/ wiper blades/ light bulbs..all covered under the mileage..

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
Yes... like ice for the cooler if ya have one...propane if you heat that way..or gas for the generator..motel rooms..tolls...

washer fluid/any fluids/ wiper blades/ light bulbs..all covered under the mileage..

Thanks!!! I shouldn't pay much tax i drove 73000 Miles plus tolls up hear in the northeast and a few nights in a hotel room etc.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not a tax guy but.. I seem to remember something about if you start by taking the deductions for your van (the word escapes me right now) the deduction where you devalue your vehicle each year and deduct that. You must stay with that method. If you start by doing mileage you have to stay with that you cannot switch back and forth. Hope this made sense.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depreciation is what you're looking for Xig. I wouldn't be surprised to see this reversed at some point. The mileage deduction is meant for folks that use their vehicles incidentally in their work, not as the primary earning tool.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not a tax guy but.. I seem to remember something about if you start by taking the deductions for your van (the word escapes me right now) the deduction where you devalue your vehicle each year and deduct that. You must stay with that method. If you start by doing mileage you have to stay with that you cannot switch back and forth. Hope this made sense.

Xig..you got that right...once you make that election you have to stick with it...

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
that was my thought to. if it is the earning tool go with actual. also if you claim mileage, doesnt that keep you from claiming maintenance. for some reason i thought it was built in to the mileage. you can change your claim choice once as long as there is a significant change in the way you do business [dba to corporation].

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
that was my thought to. if it is the earning tool go with actual. also if you claim mileage, doesnt that keep you from claiming maintenance. for some reason i thought it was built in to the mileage. you can change your claim choice once as long as there is a significant change in the way you do business [dba to corporation].

In a properly maintained van fuel and maintenance will not surpass the mileage deduction....think example here .50 x 100,000 miles = $50,000..and we ain't even done the per diem yet...

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ya thats what i was saying. since the mi. rate is high if you claim it then you dont claim maint. cost. i agree that in a van or sprinter mi. is the way to go.

is the email i sent you going to do you any good ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ya thats what i was saying. since the mi. rate is high if you claim it then you dont claim maint. cost. i agree that in a van or sprinter mi. is the way to go.

is the email i sent you going to do you any good ?

I haven't really dived into it seriously...as weird as this sounds I'll have more time now I am back in service...*LOL*

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you got that rite. come home for time off the road then go back to get some rest and time to catch up. lol

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is the law on the Standard Mileage Rate Effective January 1, 2010

You must prove the standard mileage rate by entering somewhere the starting mileage and ending mileage for every load. deadhead included. to the point of stoping at a truck stop after deliveryadn laying over. One a new load is recieved, the starting mileage for that load and continue for all of them. This will be the only way of proving you mileage in a Cargo Van from now ON. This is what the IRS requires at an Audit.

No in order to prove the Per Deim, You must have records showing the Shipper and Receiver/bill of ladin, or spthing similar to that inorder to claim the per diem in a Van

Fo 2011 I have a Per Diem/Mileage proof sheet you have have free of charge. E-mail me directly at [email protected]

or if you have anymore questions you may do the same,
I check my e-mail daily

FRank