Dayton hamvention

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had the great fun of being in Dayton June 18-20 for the "hamvention". This is the largest ham radio gathering of the year. People come from everywhere for the gathering. Saturday evening I had dinner with some guys from Germany. Every manufacturer and many many accessory vendors are there showing their wares. There's an outdoor area for "tailgating" that hosts a few hundred more sellers, many of whom are individuals parting with a variety of things they no longer need or use.

I got an antenna for my truck. So far I'm picking up signals from all over the country. Once I get it adjusted and fully grounded I expect to pick up signals from around the globe. I'm in the process of equipping my truck as an emergency response vehicle. If/when I get it set up fully I'll be able to provide comm support for any situation reachable by truck. When there's a Katrina or other disaster it's usually a few days at least until services are generally restored. During that time, amateur radio is often the only means of communication into and out of the disaster area. As expediters, we can not only get relief supplies in, we can become relief comms as well.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Cool idea Leo. You've been there before I know, and having the radio set up then would have been very helpful.

I would have liked to get over there, being it was so close to me, but family obligations had me busy that weekend. Definately will have to go sometime!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy