dash lighting

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I have a 99 ford e350 and most of my dash lights need to be replaced i only see two screws,after that how much more is involved?

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This may or may not help, I'm not familiar with the Ford. You may want to consider dropping by a Best Buy installation shop and ask them. I know that during the times that I have had several things installed they had to remove a major part of the dash trim. I'm sure they would be glad to tell you what you have to do. Cellular phone installation guys are also pretty much up to date for trim removal.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm not familiar with the E350 dash either, but just about all auto parts stores have Haynes or Chilton books for them for around $15. There is a section in the back of them for how to dissassemble the dashes and other interior stuff without marring everything up. It's usually real simple and just involves a little prying here and there but the books show you how to do it. Plus, they have gobs of other useful repair and maintenance stuff in them too. I have one for every personal vehicle I own. They are "cookbooks for men!"
-Weave-

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your in put,i am gonna try my library,they had a chiltons for a 1970 lemans i had a while back.I dont do alot of mechanical work on the van,however it wouldnt hurt to just buy one.Thanks again.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Be sure to disconnect your battery (batteries) BEFORE you go poking around behind your dashboard. There are a lot of fragile circuits behind there that are easily damaged. Since this is new to you, take it slow and easy. If you need to reconnect a battery to test a circuit, do so only after you have thought through your next move and have assured yourself that what you are about to do won't short something out.

If you take it slow and easy, and think through your next move before doing it, you'll be fine. With that approach, the worst that will happen is you will have opened up the dash, looked around a bit, learned a thing or two, and determined that this a job for a professional. Best case is you will successfully fix the problem and you'll feel proud of what you just did.

If you proceed with haste, you may cause additional problems and expense that could have been avoided.

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had to pull mine out a few months ago ..after you take the trim off there are 4 bolts maybe 5 then the whole unit is free you have to unhook the cable to the gear select the wireing should have enough slack to pull out..

took me 5 minutes at a truck stop..

one tip clean the wire connectors going into the unit..thats why i had to take mine out lights went out due to dirty connectors