Damn, inflation hit sprinters hard.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Long time no see.

Been away from expediting for years and now that I have a little bit of money saved up thought about looking into buying a promaster. And damn, there like 60-70k new now. When I was doing it they were like half of that. I'd imagine rates have not gone up enough to reflect that? How tf are new owner operators even making money?

Reactions: RoadTime

Edgar Gallo

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi All
I am an owner operator but due to primary work and life constraints my business partner and I can no longer keep our business going. We are selling our Van and MC# as a package deal if possible. Our MC# is seasoned with a year in service. A benefit to buying a clean seasoned MC# is that some brokers or shippers will only deal with MC#’s that are 6 months or older and in some cases a year old or more. It opens up more opportunity having a seasoned MC# as opposed to a brand new one. Our Van is a 2021 Mercedes Sprinter Van 2500 extended with 70k Miles. It is like new and has been very well maintained. It comes with a custom E-Track floor and side wall system with all the equipment, attachments and straps needed to start hauling short loads or over the road loads. For more information and pictures please contact me here.

Reactions: jofromco

jofromco

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thank you for your response. Yes, you are correct. I'm new to this field of trucking. I was planning on doing this along with my husband. He and I have been thinking about this business for some time. We started on a business plan and the more and more we researched this field we began to question if we could even be profitable for us. We had planned on a purchase of a gently used Ford Transit with an extended bed and high roof with less than 80,000 miles. We were going to basically live out of the van. I'm okay with that! The other question we had was the MC number. If the owner operator does not have more than 6 months or more they will not work with you.
I'm disabled due to back problems, however I have no issues with driving whatsoever.
I appreciate any and all advice!
Thanks for reading!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you for your response. Yes, you are correct. I'm new to this field of trucking. I was planning on doing this along with my husband. He and I have been thinking about this business for some time. We started on a business plan and the more and more we researched this field we began to question if we could even be profitable for us. We had planned on a purchase of a gently used Ford Transit with an extended bed and high roof with less than 80,000 miles. We were going to basically live out of the van. I'm okay with that! The other question we had was the MC number. If the owner operator does not have more than 6 months or more they will not work with you.
I'm disabled due to back problems, however I have no issues with driving whatsoever.
I appreciate any and all advice!
Thanks for reading!
Consider driving for a fleet owner. Drive and learn the business using his equipment.

Trucking is much, much more than turn key and drive.

olie

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
start out driving for a fleet learn the business take advantage of things like health insurance and so on!!! has anyone also told you that you being an O/O puts all of the liabilty on you??? do you have any money put away for rainy days??? no way in hell would in this market right now how do you know that you will like the job?

Reactions: Opel2010

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Work 2 jobs, yes 16 hr days,, auto zone or O riellys, same difference as expediting. Now at home you are not eating out 7 days a week with your engine idling 8 hrs a day, not wearing out tires, and 2 oil changes in a month is not unusual .....and transmission service, and so on,,,,stay home and work 2 jobs, same thing...................

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Work 2 jobs, yes 16 hr days,, auto zone or O riellys, same difference as expediting. Now at home you are not eating out 7 days a week with your engine idling 8 hrs a day, not wearing out tires, and 2 oil changes in a month is not unusual .....and transmission service, and so on,,,,stay home and work 2 jobs, same thing...................
and that is what we went thru? Phew no wonder I aged....LOL

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Long time no see.

Been away from expediting for years and now that I have a little bit of money saved up thought about looking into buying a promaster. And damn, there like 60-70k new now. When I was doing it they were like half of that. I'd imagine rates have not gone up enough to reflect that? How tf are new owner operators even making money?
I'd stay away from promasters... I had three in my fleet and all three engines died around 200K miles...

Reactions: OntarioVanMan