Dac report

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I recently had a 2 employees resign and upon collecting the truck they were driving a host of repairs were needed . I was aware of a few issues that need addressed but upon taking it to a trusted shop I use regularly it has been made evident that many repairs I am having done now could have been prevented if the drivers had actually been pre tripping there truck. I am not sure if I should report these findings to there DAC report or not , we pull these reports as part of a new hire requirement and if a driver has had a history of neglect or abuse I feel that I want to be made aware as I think other potential fleet owners would as well . I don't want to be spiteful or vindictive I just want to warn others ...... thoughts ??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd have to look at this.
Was it willful neglect or ignorance ?
If they really didn't know better due to lack of training I might give them a break.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
It was neglect , one of the 2 was a fleet mechanic for many years. I'm in to the truck for almost 5k now . The worse one was both front wheel bearings were bone dry and the spindles were damaged .

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Unmm, that's pretty weird.
Trust the shop it's in ? ( reread the op and see it is.)
To have both be dry is odd.
To have them both be dry long enough to damage the spindles, but not long enough to loose the wheels would have me scratching my head.

I doubt that 10% of drivers check oil level, probably less than 25% O/Os, unless visible signs of a leak. In the steer hubs. Got covers over the hubs to look good but discourage proper pti's ?

And how about whoever is doing your pm's ? Are they doing the proper job ?

Not coming after you/your practices.
I just like to encourage the thought process.

Now, how do you avoid it from happening with the next team ?

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Unmm, that's pretty weird.
Trust the shop it's in ? ( reread the op and see it is.)
To have both be dry is odd.
To have them both be dry long enough to damage the spindles, but not long enough to loose the wheels would have me scratching my head.

I doubt that 10% of drivers check oil level, probably less than 25% O/Os, unless visible signs of a leak. In the steer hubs. Got covers over the hubs to look good but discourage proper pti's ?

And how about whoever is doing your pm's ? Are they doing the proper job ?

Not coming after you/your practices.
I just like to encourage the thought process.

Now, how do you avoid it from happening with the next team ?

Good points. I don't know how to check hub oil. I just look at rim for anything suspicious but other than that I assume all is well. I asked a while back about this on the forums and no one had good advice about it. I think most people wouldn't know how to if we were able to. I can't imagine running on them empty though. I thought they would over heat and either lock up or pop off the truck.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. I don't know how to check hub oil.
If you, as the owner of the vehicle, do not know how to check hub oil, how can you hold it against a driver for not knowing how.

Besides, It would seem to me, this is something that should be done during regular scheduled PM's.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hub oil is pretty easy to check as all you have to do is look at the clear plastic hub cover on the front wheel and see where the oil level is at it requires a little bending over thats all and if they were dry he should have heard the bearings roaring going down the road.
I wouldn't report it though what goes around comes right back around
if anyone calls for a reference you can let them know.
They may have been just steering wheel holders and not no anything about a truck.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A lot of people put covers over the hubcap.
The clear plastic dis-colors where it is no longer see through.
How many drivers don't/can't bend over ?
And now we have a fleet owner who asked a while ago about checking hubs and hasn't bothered to find out this very important function yet .
Welcome to the new era of truckers.

Back in about 90 I picked up a tanker from a small fleet owner in Wisconsin.
I think he called in on me because I popped the caps off and checked the oil level on the trl.
He walked over and spoke to me about it. He was amazed to see a driver doing it.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Sorry for not responding quicker guys , we're running this holiday and got a good run but I will be back shortly .

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A lot of people put covers over the hubcap.
The clear plastic dis-colors where it is no longer see through.
How many drivers don't/can't bend over ?
And now we have a fleet owner who asked a while ago about checking hubs and hasn't bothered to find out this very important function yet .
Welcome to the new era of truckers.

Back in about 90 I picked up a tanker from a small fleet owner in Wisconsin.
I think he called in on me because I popped the caps off and checked the oil level on the trl.
He walked over and spoke to me about it. He was amazed to see a driver doing it.

I would never get moving without checking hub oil, you can kill someone if you lose your tires because of a blown wheel seal. When a wheel seal goes it doesn't necessarily become obvious right away as some will leak right into the drum and others only when they cool down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You may have bearings packed in grease.
If so, no oil to check.
On pm, or every other pm I'd jack up front axle. Check wheel bearing tightness.
Still look for leakage. Grease can come past seal. Or end cab. Wont be as noticeable as oil.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I don't have a sight glass in the hubs. What's the next way of checking?

Little rubber plug in center of cap on steer axle , I gave the driver oil for the hub personally when we met up on a run , I personally drove the truck in question for 18 mos and I know the condition of it first hand , it was abuse driving that led to its current condition , the driver told me he way only concerned with himself and his co driver not the truck , our company and apparently not worried about the fellow drivers on the road . A wheel beating failure can cause catastrophic consequences , I would like to be made aware before placing a driver with this type of history in my trucks and I only want to extend that courtesy to others

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Little rubber plug in center of cap on steer axle , I gave the driver oil for the hub personally when we met up on a run , I personally drove the truck in question for 18 mos and I know the condition of it first hand , it was abuse driving that led to its current condition , the driver told me he way only concerned with himself and his co driver not the truck , our company and apparently not worried about the fellow drivers on the road . A wheel beating failure can cause catastrophic consequences , I would like to be made aware before placing a driver with this type of history in my trucks and I only want to extend that courtesy to others

I pulled the little plug out and I could see that the area around the plug is supposed to be see through but it's soo dark you can't. The fluid level was up to the plug. If I added a drop it would pour out of the plug opening. Is that how it is supposed to be?

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I pulled the little plug out and I could see that the area around the plug is supposed to be see through but it's soo dark you can't. The fluid level was up to the plug. If I added a drop it would pour out of the plug opening. Is that how it is supposed to be?

Just a tad before it runs out is good , you can pickup a new cap with a nice clear end for a few bucks , the plug in the side is suppose to have a magnet on it to catch the metal from wear .

zorry

Veteran Expediter

I believe it's high. There's often a ring about 3/4" from the pug that says oil level or fill level.
Also the rubber plug should be able to vent pressure.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like there was a hub cap on the rim, that could be why it was never checked by the driver. But It should have been checked every time a service was done on the vehicle at the shop you had them take the truck... You should be questioning the shop on why they didn't check or see a wheel seal leak.Just saying

Cap

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I looked at a new stemco hub cap that had the full ring about as high as it could be to the inspection plug.

So I was wrong.
I wonder if this is a change from when I was in a shop and maybe the older oils needed a little expansion room.