D vs E units

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Recruiters, what is the ratio of load offers and wait time for D vs E units? I've been told by someone I believe that an E unit gets about 1.5 times the number of load offers due to a far smaller pool of units. I've been told that frequently the time between loads is just the mandated 10 hour break. What are the statistics for your company?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

2millionplus

Expert Expediter
Leo

Leo, you have no idea how many load are available for 'E' units. When I look at the load boards, from several major players, there are hundreds upon hundreds of uncovered loads on a daily basis.

Therefore, the only things that dictate the tractors loads are their hours of service availability. Granted, some of the loads don't pay a whole lot, especially out of the west coast, but we are talking available loads here.

The only thing that bothers me is that the tractor owners just do not realize the companies that really pay well. Most of the companies that we, meaning you and I, have been affiliated with, wait for the customers to call. But some of the smaller carriers aggressively attack this market, even though they pay less, the money is more due to the amount of miles the T/T are running.

I, as well as all of you, am really worried about the future of cargo vans and even straight trucks, for that matter. There always may be a call for "D" units, but all I hear from the companies, is get us tractors and more tractors.

2millionplus
Independant Recruiter
30 Years 'On-The-Road'

"The Old Man"

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
old man,
i believe he was talking expedited loads,and as tractor driver,my sitting time is much less than a d unit,as long as im running team,running single entirely different situation in expedite
ooida263839
fed ex cc since 1984
E6613
steve gilbert

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
i agree that there aremany companies offering to keep you busy,but bottom line is,you ware your truck out twice as fast and put less money in your pocket
as you know expedite is a hifgh mileage type of business,thats why higher rates
ive had truck doing both kinds of business,id rather sit 2 days and make my 3 loads a week for 5k than run 5k miles for it
ooida263839
fed ex cc since 1984
E6613
steve gilbert

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
rewriting reply
expedite is not a high mileage industry,why wear your truck out for low pay in a back haul load or in low income freight
much better to just be patient,get your expedited loads
$5000 for 5000 miles,isnt near as good as $ 5000 for 3000 miles