D unit vs. B unit!

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been doing some thinking about the profitability of a D unit vs. the B unit. I currently drive a B unit that I have hired a driver for. I posted a question on this forum regarding which unit to purchase and I appreciate all of the responses.

I might be completely off base but when you add up the revenue vs. the expenses a B unit would be more profitable. I hope nobody jumps down my throat for this comment. I am looking for someone to explain why they feel a D unit is more profitable.

The first major expense is the truck payment. I pay $500/month for my B unit vs. $1500/month or so for a D unit. Also the insurance is higher, the higher tolls, weigh stations, higher fuel costs, fuel taxes, etc.

It seems to me that the big benefit to a D unit is comfort!!!! Does this seem reasonable to everyone?:) Any input would be great. This next purchase is for me and comfort would be great but I want to make a good business decision.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are going to purchase a D unit buy a used one or a repo or even a class 8 and have it stretched(this I am told runs about $2500 plus van body which good used ones start at about $2500-3000). A good advantage to a class 8 is they are made to haul 80,000lbs so when your only grossing say 35,000 or so its not even stressing any driveline parts as apposed to a true D unit, and people that have them love 'em, even the fuel mileage is better I hear. My next purchase will definitly be a class 8. I am currently signed on with CTX and one advantage their is you can haul an envolope and you still get $1.07per loaded mile, so your not only waiting for a 5ton run, you do the cargo van runs also but at higher pay.My truck was a Repo I bought with 90k miles on it and I pay less than 1k per month on it for 36 months. There are loads of repos out there to choose from I just got one with a sour tranny. Well I hope this helps with your decision;) ;) .. Andy [email protected]

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Jeff,

One thing I have noticed in expediting is that nearly all B unit drivers want to buy D units, and nearly all the D unit drivers want to buy B units. It is a classic example of "The grass is greener".

I would hire myself out as a driver for someone with a D unit for 6 months. That way you would be in the unique position to see which of the two worlds is rosier.

My personal opinion (Just mine doesn't reflect anyone else's or any company, website...yadda yadda yadda) is right now is not the time for such an investment. With an unstable economy, a war starting, the future is kinda up in the air. I personally wouldn't want to lay out $100K and strap myself to the mast and wait for the storm. I would either stick to my B unit or maybe, if I was itching to make a purchase call Freightliner of Knoxville and order a new Sprinter. Not trying to be critical or a smart aleck. Just giving you my honest opinon. (Now that you have my opinon that and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at your local Petro :+ )

Good Luck in all endeavors
Bill

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

I think it is all relative. Right?

Yes, you spend more on fuel in a straight truck BUT, you also earn more per mile. ;-)

I think the BIG difference comes in when you throw a husband/wife team in the mix - now the truck can run unlimited miles AND all the revenue stays in the same family.

What I think would be very interesting is to do a side by side comparison, we might just be surprised what we learn.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would definitely go with a D unit.The D gives much more potential than a B unit.A D can haul A,B,C, or D loads never getting less than C rates (at least with Fedex CC). D units rarely have the layover times that B units have.As of today my D has grossed $93,000 for the year with a fair amount of time off.I know of several B units that are both single and teams that have less than $35,000 gross for the team and less than $30,000 gross for the single. Both of these units have a higher availability percentage and a higher load acceptance rate then me.Yes overhead is higher but the bottom line is still greater. While the D costs more up front resale value is higher if youn decide to get out after a year or so. I have never wanted to downgrade to a B unit but sometimes I think a C is really the best way to go. Most of the time D units haul C loads but of course most C!s haul B loads..So the age old question never gets a complete answer.
Good Luck

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This ones for you Lawrence!
If you want to be the judge, I run a B unit and I do a 650 to 750 mile run every night. Find the D unit and someone that runs like I do and we can do the side-by-side, As you said,"it will be very interesting to find out what we learn". I'm willing to put my B unit and all my expenses, along with all my income up against any D unit from any Company}>

Good Luck, Tony
[email protected]

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is sort of a comparison, but not really. My father's D unit has been down for some major repairs the last couple of weeks, and he has been running a cargo van while waiting. The van has been staying loaded, and runs effeciently. It could run neck to neck with a D unit after all is said and done expense wise. But, and I will quote my father, the van is not too easy to sleep in- "It has no insulation and you can hear everyone outside of it fart."
I guess if you factor in personal fatigue for long hauls, you will want something with a real sleeper. I think the Alumi-Bunk Ford van has a little sleeper bulkheaded off from the cargo area. This may cut into cargo space, but you may actually be able to sleep in it.
Most of the loads in my D unit have been "C" loads or van loads. The exceptions have been loads requiring the full 22' volume of the box or a delicate load requiring air ride. My truck has rarely been maxed out on gross weight.
So, for my true answer to the subject :9 --I don't know!-- But this may be a bit of insight.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Freightliner Sprinter

Thanks Tony,

I think this is where the Freightliner Sprinter might have the edge on this topic. You can easily carry 4K pounds (up to 4 skids double stacked) + have a nice 60" stand up sleeper. And if you are real ambitious you can have no sleeper and carry 6 skids!

With a Sprinter you are also not required to run a log book.

I think the bottom line is what carrier are you leased to? Some carriers enforce a schedule - similar to a log book.

Now.........here is a B unit that has all the comforts of a straight truck!! :7 :7 http://www.expeditersonline.com/images/bunit.jpg

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Freightliner Sprinter

I could is me going down the road in that Lawrence!
I agree with you on that new Sprinter, infact I can't wait untill this 2000 Dodge i'm in takes it's dive so I can get me one of those baby freightshakers.
FYI: My offer still stands.}> Have a nice day.
Good Luck, Tony
[email protected]

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Freightliner Sprinter

Tony TEACEL bring out an interesting point.He claims to do a 650-700 mile run every night.He can do that as a single driver in a B unit,but most companies restrict D units to about 520 miles when runninmg single. So he has the opportunity to run more miles as a single driver than a D unit operating as a single can. In most cases the D is also required to take 8 hours off between runs,while the B (in some companies) can continue on.Having said all that I think Tony is a pretty lucky expeditor to have a 650-700 mile daily run.The folks I know driving B units are happy to get that on a weekly basis.Another item to consider is long term value and maintenance costs.A B unit with 100,000 miles on it after 1 year has very little residual value,but a D with the same miles can be sold or traded at
a decent $ value.Also most D!s if maintained properly and driven conseratively will give 500,000 plus miles before any major overhauls are needed.I doubt if a B unit could go that distance without a new engine plus 2 transmission overhauls.So what does all this mean? you tell me,I guess it!s what you are comfortable with.I don!t believe in hindsight,so when I make a decision I just live with it..The amount of time you want to stay in this business is also a major factor.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Not About Post

Hello Rich,

I couldn't help but notice all the friendly user feedbacks you have in your profile...gonna make some of us get down right jealous ;-)

LOL! :7

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Not About Post

Wow, I saw my first Freightliner Sprinter today right in my hometown of Silver Creek, NY. It was a FedEx company unit. (not CC). Now this thing looks like a really innovative idea. My friend brought back some pictures form Ireland where these things have been in use under the Mercedes badge for some time, so I guess it's only new to the USA. It may be a good profitable alternative to dealing with a D unit.
-Weave-