D-Unit Pay Rate

dpea9

Expert Expediter
I now have a D-Unit straight truck. Its unladen weight is 20,500lbs. Gross weight is 32,000lbs. Its a single axle. It is a heavy truck because of the sleeper size and a liftgate.That leaves me 11,500lbs useful load. Companies I have talked to want their straight trucks to have a useful load of 13,000lbs. So I will be paid at a C-unit rate. Is this common? Or should I look elseware for a company?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are companies that will pay D rate to a truck like yours. Keep contacting companies.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
dpea9,
Leo is right, not all companies make you carry 13,000 lbs to be considered a d unit. We at Tri-State only require a payload of more than 10,000 lbs and a box size of greater than 16' to be listed as a d unit receiving the $1.20/mi. As you probably have found out, most of the freight you haul in that truck is only about 5,000 lbs anyway.

Didn't you buy that truck from Dee out of IL?

ABC

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Thank you for the reply that is good to know. I didn't buy Dee's truck. Do you know if he is still driving for Tri-State? I would like to stop and see him but I lost his phone # If you have it would you PM me with the number?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Dan (Dpea);

Most companies pay by the weight of the load or required cargo area. Your truck is a "D" unit by GVW and length. Granted it may not be able to move all "D" loads offered to you, BUT it is a "D" truck under most definitions.

Many companies will offer to "D" units loads that are not "D" loads to keep them moving. For example, you take a "D" load at the full rate ($1.20 $1.30 - whatever your carrier pays, plus fuel surcharge) to Dallas Texas. You unload in Texas and the (carrier)company is given a cargo van load to let's say "Idaho", but has no cargo vans in Dallas, I'm sure the carrier would offer it to you since you are the vehicle they have in Dallas. That load would generally pay the cargo van rate (.70, .80 or .90 cents per loaded mile plus fuel surcharge).
Likewise, even if your truck is classified as a "C" unit by your company, the company probably pays "D" rates for any load over 5,000 pounds. So if you are offered a load that weighs 11,500 pounds, you would be paid the "D" rate.

The same is true with length or cargo area. A Sprinter van is sometimes paid a "C" rate because the dimensions of the load would not fit in the normal cargo van (ie. load 11'8" long).

I would not let the company's classification of your vehicle scare you away from them. Just watch to make sure you are not being passed over on "D" loads you are able to haul.

I hope this explains your situation better for you.

Thank you,
HotFr8Recruiter.