D unit box repairs finally done

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just thought some of you may want to see what can be possible to save a box after a major rear-ender. Last week of repairs involved straightening the chassis frame that was bent 4 inches about 12 ft. from rear past the drive axle. Box turned out pretty good and pleased with Wards Trailer repair in Penndel, PA. Should have had new door hinges and locking bars, but insurance didn't cover it, and they forgot to ask me.
Might have been worth the extra money out of pocket. Oh well, box makes money, front of truck is for the cosmetics ...The new LED rectangular tail, stop, turn combos. are really nice: an easy fix to brighten up the rear lights. :)

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sure; almost exact total costs broke down like this:

1) Rear doors, rear sill, ICC bumper, new taillights (LED's at $122)undercarriage crossmembers, some minor sleeper repair, and a New left front tire (like new take-off tire BF287 for $350) etc.

2) New seat upgrade to Atlas Elite (covered repair at $850 shipped)

3) Frame repairs additional $1430- covered

Totals: $11,200
122 LEDs
350 tire
$11,672 my insurance paid $8,286

Another $3500 in subrogation costs I am hopefully waiting for (this will be my deduct. of $1000, costs out of pocket, and car rentals, etc.) NOT a PRETTY PICTURE but could have been much worse. Box was not warrantied: insurance wanted to total: gave me $4700 for it.

:(