D-Unit advice

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Was thinking B-unit (van) now a D-unit seems better, mainly due to the increased revenue, and load opportunities. Would like advice on purchase of what to look for in a used D-unit. From all that I've seen, the FL 70 is not the way to go, neither the 250 Cat 3106, and also avoid a 7 speed Spicer tranny. So it looks like Cummins ISB, Fuller 6 speed etc. (Sort of answered my own question). I'd like to get some opinions from the forum, and would appreciate it if you could take the time to answer some of my questions. 1) What are your opinions of the FL 80? (2) What are your opinions of International DT 466? (3)Do you think a year old expediter truck with less than 150k miles would give 3-4 years good service, if properly maintained? (4)Is $45k too much to pay for a truck equipped as above (Cummins etc.)(5) How is the best way to decide a fair price on a used expediter? Obviously, the dealer wants to get as much as he can, maybe even unload some junk, and I want to pay as little as possible for as much truck as possible. (6)As far as cash flow goes, what might be a rule of thumb as how much to put down on a truck, and how much to keep in an interest bearing checking accout as a reserve? (7) Would you personally drive the big orange trucks that always are advertising for drivers (free training) for a year before getting into expediting?

Retirement in September '03. Want to have all my ducks in a row, (and not in a shooting gallery!!!!!!) Thanks in advance to all who respond.
Regards

DooWop

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My answers by number:)

1. Same basic truck as FL70
2. It's a good engine, but a bit underpowered
3. yes, probably a lot more
4. No, but get at least a Cummins ISC8.3, DDC S50 or DT466
5. Most dealerships can only ask what the banks are going to finance
the trucks for, so they are relatively honest with prices
6. Put as much down as you can afford, 10-15% is normal
7. Absolutely not, waste of a year of your life!
-Weave-

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave: Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it. Question: Do you buy the truck and then shop it around to companies, or do you sign a lease and then buy the truck?

Regards

DooWop

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Doo Wop has been around for a while.I don!t think I am going to touch this one.Sounds like some Corporate spy..LOL

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich M: Rich, I don't get it. Is this some kind of insider joke? Maybe I should have wrote my question like this: "I don't want to buy a truck and have a big monthly payment, and no income coming in because I am unable to sign on with an expedite company. So what should I do?" Or how about this: "Do I get a contract as a o/o and then run out and buy a truck that I can't really afford because I have a deadline to start honoring my contract but not enough time to carefully shop for one?"

As far as "corporate spy" I find that offensive. I asked a question in good faith. I am a gov't employee, and a veteran. And I PROUDLY do not wear a SUIT to work each day!!!

Regards

DooWop

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one you need letter of intend saying you have been approved for x company this help alot, i would stay away from the fl70's if you are going to run team, get a class 8 and have a good size sleeper on it
give bill moore a call at tsi see his add on line here and go with a
western star if it's not a star it's not a truck
aslo get gen set proheat is one of best plus tsi will install this
also where are you living at now also would help, there are someplaces
that are good if you are single or better if you are a team, doesn't
matter what company you run for it's about the same
if you are single texas is not the place to be as it takes 2 days to get out of town if you are single driver
look at the airport where you live if it is a big one and
they have alot at the airport

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Doo Wop, I do appreciate your approach about asking questions first.

If I were in your shoes, I would kinda do it in steps like this:
1. Investigate the companies and decide which one sounds the best to you.
2. Submit an application. Hopefully you already have the required CDL for the size truck you intend driving.
3. Near the time you are available, start answering ads looking for drivers. Get the knowledge about what kind of truck you want from the position of driving someone else's truck for about 6 months. The money you won't waste and the frustration you won't experience will allow you to make an informed choice about your future truck and your future company.
4. Go do it and take everything for the first 90 days until you learn the system.

Vernon