D-sub output

vipra

Expert Expediter
My new laptop has a 15-pin d-sub output. What's it for? The owner's manual doesn't say, and I searched Yahoo, Google and Wikipedia and couldn't find anything useful.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
You might also be asking why you would want to connect an external monitor to a laptop.

Many systems these days allow for dual monitor mode setup which allows for the integrated display on the laptop and the external one to both operate at the same time, yet display their own information. You can also drag items from one display to the other with your mouse... nifty the first time you see it in action.

The other use is for making presentations with PowerPoint where a projector is connected to the external monitor connection. One can display the slides on the screen while viewing their notes and slides on the laptop. I've given many presentations that work marvelously with this type of setup.

Last year I was asked to give a presentation on trucking to the students at a local high school during their career day during which I used this kind of setup. The funniest part was when I mentioned they should pay attention in their classes... including math, you could almost hear the collective groan from several of the students while the teachers at the back all gave a thumbs up. :)