Customs fine $5000

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
THATS BULLSH-T!!!!!! IT CHEAPER TO GO TO CANADA THEN COME BACK HOME.PS I GUESS I COULD AGREE WITH THE 5.OO$ FEE IF WE WERE LOADED COMMING BACK ACROSS.x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x(

Finn777

Expert Expediter
Lawrence is right. These fines are for coming into the us. The canadian trucking assoc. are putting a lot of rescources into fighting fines issued to canadian drivers. From what I hear Ottawa is involved and are none too happy right now.
Well folks have enjoyed the comments on this subject. The latest is I wrote a letter to the commisioner of customs begging for mercy. We will see what happens.

The customs officials informed me that carriers were informed of this and had an obligation to inform their drivers not no word of mouth on the internet or truck mags etc. We cannot know everything and every law if we did we would not be drivers. There are laws out there we will never know about in our lifetime. For instance in the state of Conneticut you are required by law if you have a sleeper to have white sheets in your bunk in case of an accident, they can be used for bandages. $400 fine for that one. how many of you knew that? Or if you get stopped for speeding in a construction zone in Pa you get double the fine but also lose your CDL for a mandatory 15 days? I am sure you folks have a ton of little used laws too.

We only learn by word of mouth or truck mags or sites like this how else will we know if nobody informs us? Anyhow that $5 fee we pay goes where? how is it spent and on what? that's a lot of money a year for the amount of trucks that cross. Why is it that when you cross the border in a car with your family the agents are nice and say "Welcome Home" but when we are in a truck/van their attitude changes. One tidbit of info I did find out was that all fax machines at customs brokers at the border are tied into the customs office so if a broker says they did not recieve a fax the agents can check the fax logs and if they find the broker did recieve but did not act they will fine them $5000 (get your checkbook out livingston). So in leiu of the fine the options are 1.Spend a week filling potholes on the Ambassador Bridge. 2.Go to the Norfolk Shipyard and count ship rivets for a week or 3.Spend a week at the ranch in crawford cutting brush. (there is a good deal in the Hampton Inn in Waco so we are leaning toward this option right now)any advice on which way I should go? OK folks thanks for the comments keep the info coming.

fdccsafety

Expert Expediter
If your a FDCC contractor and receive a civil penalty, please let Michele in Safety know asap. Some of the postings on this issue are correct, the driver can write for a reduction of the penalty. To the driver who received the fine, I would suggest you contact your Company and ask them to also write a letter on your behalf (if they haven't already.)