Cube van with attic?

NTTandme

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, i was wondering if anybody is driving a cube van with or without an attic less then 10,000 GVW and which carrier will take on cube vans?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
YOU would need to call the CARRIERS and ASK THEM if they would sign on a cube van like you mentioned. My thought is the MPG would SUCK because of the WIND the ATTIC would catch. JUST my 2 cents.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think an under 10,000 GVWR cube van is behind the 8-ball on weight capacity, with or without an attic. These vehicles are better suited to personal moving than to the type of work we're doing. Imagine a vehicle which can haul less than 3,000 lbs, but which has the wind drag and fuel consumption of a larger truck-- in my opinion, this is a no-win.

I had occasion, a year or two ago, to drive one of these things. The volume was greater than a standard van, no two ways about it-- but when I saw the payload rating stamped on the sidewall-- this was a rental-- I had a hard time believing it. My 2500 standard van can carry more weight than that 3500 cube van could.

NTTandme

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you very much. I thought that the weight and the height of the truck would be a problem. I had our living space already set up in my mind, but you're right it won't be worth it.
Thanks again

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I'd say people are using cube vans because I am seeing lots of them in truck stop parking lots alongside the sprinters. These vans usually do not have the attic but many do have aftermarket wind deflectors. As for their profitability, if you are getting van rates you would be "behind the eight ball", but if you are getting straight truck rates I would think its a different story.