CTX sounds too good to be true

G

What can you tell us about CTX? Are they a good outfit to sign on with? Do they give you the miles? How about down time, we don't want much. We want to run, and we want to make money. Can anyone offer some insight as to the best company out there?

We are looking at buying a KW 24" straight truck. We're doing the research now, hoping to be signed and on the road by April 1.

Thanks for your help! Pat & Steph

Robert

Seasoned Expediter
I have a D unit. When I left FEDX/CC in April, I talked to CTX. I thought it was too good to be true too. I went with a small local co. They have 4 trucks(includeing mine). I have been very happy with them. I am usually home every other night. Only bad thing, I go to NYC at least once a week. I guess that is why we do so good. No one wants to go there. It's not really that bad once you get used to it. Look around for a small local co. They treat you a lot nicer than the big guys, and you might make more money. I know I do.

mph78

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Drive for food? Satelite,sign-on,escrow deductions!Discounted freight!Spend 3-4 days at a time in beautiful downtown Gary,Ia.! Late delivery fines (billed in 15 minute increments) RUDE & INCOMPETENT DISPATCH,all this can be yours w/CTX,taught me everything I don't like about expediting,in one 2 year lesson...... RUN THE OTHER WAY,DON"T LOOK BACK!!! some folks do well,and are very happy with CTX I just haven't met any of them......78

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I were you I would stay away from CTX,they have a terrible reputation in the expedting business.I can only talk from hearsay but i have heard over and over that they are a very difficult company to work for.You might want to consider Tri State,Panther or Fedex CC.

nanny56

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tri-State was one of our choices also. We are trying to do all the research now, so we can get on the road. We know the lifestyle and don't have a problem with that. We have been in the service industry forever. We have always been on standby and subject to emergency calls.

Our biggest concern is staying moving, We don't want to sit for prolonged periods of time. We want to make money and we want to be busy.

Any tips on expediting would be helpful. We know there is a pot full of things for us to get laid out before we start. Insurance, to incorporate or not, taxes, accountants, lawyers, fuel tax, ect. We don't pretend to know squat, but we have to learn and rather quickly. We've chosen to make a complete life change, now time is ticking. And that is what brought us to this forum. To interact with those of you who are kind enough to share your knowledge and experience.

G

If you don't want to sit around, want to run hard, and make money you sure don't want to get into the expediting business right now. I terminated my contract with FedEx C.C. a little over a week ago because of just that. I'm now leased to a company in the Detroit area that hauls parts to Chrysler dealers. I'll be running from Va. to New England with a D unit. Last week I grossed over $3000 (my first week with them). They are in desperate need of more D units. If you live in MI or nw Ohio and are interested email me for the rest of the info. [email protected]

G

Work for anyone but CTX The dispatchers are the rudest jerks I've ever delt with and they're not even your boss they just act like they are. They also seem to play favorites. I'm glad to have the opportunity to tell someone about these "A"Holes. It sounds too good to be true 'cause it is.They can't keep anyone and the last time I worked for them (3yrs. ago), all you could do with there stupid computer was check in - no directions no nothing. Plus when you call to get a load it takes a half hour ( I'm not exagerating in the slitest) to get an answer. And then they wonder why your late! I hope they go Chapter 11.

Good Luck,

"Kid Cactus" BFLO., NY

G

ctx no no no tri-state or landstar express. we have 4 trucks on with tri-state ,but freight is down ,but were are still in there and we pay fuel and other things for are drivers,and we both still make money, wright now is a bad time to go on with any company ,you have to many days coming up that places will be shut down. you would be better to work for someone else frist . call us if you have any ????? brenda and dennis at 1-313-388-9381 we will talk to you. hope you do will in your truck or work for some one . cxt no no

Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Check out Express-1 in Buchanan Michigan, They have very low driver turnover, they must be doing something right!

rumblestrip

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
hello there, we have a D unit leased on with Panther II. We live in Michigan and would like to talk to you about the company your running with and the upcoming economy. Please give us a call anytime at 810-793-2908, ask for Bob or Regina Adams. Thank you

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I DONT KNOW WHY EVERYONE DOWNGRADES CTX, IS IT BECAUSE OF EXPERIENCE OR JUST HEARSAY,

I'VE BEEN WITH THEM FOR 3 YEARS, I AVERAGED BETWEEN 65 AND 70,000 A YEAR BECAUSE THEY KNEW THAT I WAS NOT GOING TO BE LATE AT ANYTIME UNLESS I HIT A MAJOR TIE UP ON THE HIGHWAY. iF I DID I TRIED TO FIND AWAY AROUND IT. AND ALWAY GOT THERE ON TIME

THEY HAVE MADE MAJOR CHANGES IN THERE CONTRACT, DISPATCHERS,
THEY GOT RID OF THE SO CALLED RUDE DISPATCHERS THAT WERE THERE PREVIOUSLY, THEY STARTED TO WEED OUT PERSONAL AND HIRE NEW PEOPLE FOR THIS PAST SUMMER(2000)
NO MORE CHARGES FOR LATE LOADS AT ALL
NEW SATILLITE SYSTEM, SIZE OF A PALM PILOT, ONLY PROBLEM WITH THAT IS YOU HAVE TO HAVE A Q-PAGER REQUIRED,
LOAD INFORMATION IS GIVEN ON SYSTEM INSTEAD OF BY PAGER AND PHONE, NO MORE PHONE CHECK CALLS EVERY 3 HOURS, LOADED. JUST ENTER IN SYSTEM
DISPATCHERS WILL NOT PAGE YOU TO FIND OUT WHERE YOU ARE IF YOU DONT MAKE A CHECK CALL
SMALLER FLEET, LET GO 60 DRIVERS AT XMAS, FOR REASONS OF LATE LOAD, NOT ANSWERING PAGES, STAYED HOME DURING WEEK AND A FEW OTHER THINGS THAT REALLY IS THE DRIVERS FAULT.

SURE SOMETIMES WE SIT, EVERYONE DOES DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU DELIVERED AND HOW MANY TRUCKS ARE IN THE AREA, THATS WITH ALL THE COMPANIES,
i KNOW FEDEX, YOU MIGHT HAVE 15 TRUCKS AT THE DETROITER TRUCK STOP, AND THEY ONLY GET 10 LOADS, YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.YOU SIT

I HEARD OF FEDEX, AND TRISTATE GETTING SOME OF CTX'S LOAD AND GOT 10-15 CENTS A MILE LESS THEN US AS THIRD PARTY FREIGHT.

YOU CAN ASK FOR ECONO RATE ON THE CHRYSLER LOADS, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT THEY WANT TO PAY .79 A MILE, IT WILL GO UP TO 89 TO 1.00 A MILE DEPENDING ON WEIGHT..

THAT IS THIS BUSINESS AND THERE IS REALLY NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE, EVERY COMPANY WANTS THE CHEAPEST RATE POSSIBLE,
TRUE, LANDSTAR-EXPRESS AMERICA AND PANTHER RATES ARE SUPPOSE TO BE HIGHER, BUT THEY HAVE PROBLEMS ALSO

ADVANTAGES

PAID DEADHEAD AT 20 CENTS PER MILE OVER 80 MILES, if OVER 80 YOU GET PAID FOR ALL DEADHEAD FROM MILE ONE

WITH OTHERS YOU HAVE TO GIVE FIRST 100 MILES YOUR COST.

SETTLEMENTS ARE WEEKLY, AND VERY LITTLE PROBLEM OVER LAST YEAR

THERE WERE VERY FEW DAYS THAT I SAT FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS, I THINK THE MOST WAS 2 FULL DAYS. BUT THEY DEADHEADED ME TO AN AREA WHERE THERE W0ULD NORMALLY BE FREIGHT. AND WITHIN 12 HOURS I WAS BACK ON THE ROAD.
IF YOUR TIRED AND HAVE TO GET SOME SLEEP AND THERE ARE ONLY SMALL RUNS COMMING UP GO OUT OF SERVICE AND GET THAT SLEEP YOU'LL NEED IT. UNLESS THEY DONT HAVE ANYONE WITHIN 2 HOURS FOR A LOAD TO PICK UP THEN YOU CAN TAKE OR LEAVE IT. WHATEVER. i TOOK IT.
THATS MY OPINION, JUDGE IT FROM THERE

FRANK

ddf46

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Frank,
Who are you trying to kid? Iwas with ctx for about 2 yrs. and i had nothing but trouble. How about getting fined for a 3 hour check in call when the load was only a two hour run!! this was only one small incedent out of hundreds of problems i had with them.

ddf46

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dear pat and steph,
If you want to have more grief than you can handle go with ctx. All i will say is they are by far the worst company i have ever work for. I tell you this with two yrs. experience with them. I will not go on and on about them but please do not lease on with them because you will learn the same thing im telling you the hard way too!!!! you can call me if you want at (517) 366-7991. dennis

ddf46

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>What can you tell us about
>CTX? Are they a good
>outfit to sign on with?
> Do they give you
>the miles? How about
>down time, we don't want
>much. We want to
>run, and we want to
>make money. Can anyone
>offer some insight as to
>the best company out there?
>
>
>We are looking at buying a
>KW 24" straight truck.
>We're doing the research now,
>hoping to be signed and
>on the road by April
>1.
>
>Thanks for your help! Pat
>& Steph

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
DDG46

I KNOW THAT YOU AND QUITE A FEW OTHER DRIVERS HAD HAD PROBLEMS WITH CTX, BUT AS I SAID IN A RECENT POST, THINGS HAVE REALLY CHANGED AND BEEN GETTING BETTER AS FAR AS THE WAY YOU ARE TREATED NOW.
SMALLER FLEET AROUND 300, VERY FEW PHONE CALLS TO DISPATCH EVERYTIME YOUR PAGED, U GET THE LOAD ON THE SATELLITTE(NEW SYSTEM), BETTER COMUNICATIONS, AND ASK TO GET HOME AND NORMALLY THEY WILL TRY AT LEAST TOWARD HOME IF AVAILABLE. DISPATCHER WORK WITH YOU MORE AND NOT AGAINST YOU,
NO ONE IN THE OFFICE HAS A TRUCK ON THE ROAD ANYMORE SO THERE IS NO FAVORITISM. AS FAR AS GOOD LOADS ARE CONCERN, EVERY ONE GET A CRACK AT IT TO TAKE OR REFUSE DEPENDING WHERE IT PICKS UP.
HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO ANY OF THE OTHER DRIVERS RESENTLY, ACTUALLY, YOU WILL GET VARIOUS ANSWERS OF YES AND NO,
ENJOY
FRANK