Cross Contamination of Commodities

LadyJay

New Recruit
Driver
I work for a company that transports lead and used auto and industrial batteries as well as other commodities such as sterilized medical supplies, food, empty and filled beverage containers and household goods. All these products are being transported in the same dry van trailers. I feel that all these other commodities should not be transported in the same trailer that lead and auto batteries were in before picking up the new commodities because of cross contamination.
The question I have for my fellow truckers is if any of you may be aware of existing guidelines and or regulations that state this type of transportation of commodities is not supposed to be occurring.
Thank you in advance!

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The DOT rules and regulations green and white book found either online, or in any truckstop will have it. Or go to JJ Keller's website.

Reactions: LadyJay

LadyJay

New Recruit
Driver
Thank you for your reply. I was just trying to get thru on JJ Keller but it wasn’t working for me at the moment. If you have any other advice or tips they are greatly appreciated.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I work for a company that transports lead and used auto and industrial batteries as well as other commodities such as sterilized medical supplies, food, empty and filled beverage containers and household goods. All these products are being transported in the same dry van trailers. I feel that all these other commodities should not be transported in the same trailer that lead and auto batteries were in before picking up the new commodities because of cross contamination.
The question I have for my fellow truckers is if any of you may be aware of existing guidelines and or regulations that state this type of transportation of commodities is not supposed to be occurring.
Thank you in advance!
Yes, you are correct. Separate trailers should be used to haul those commodities. I expedite in a van. I strongly feel that hazardous chemicals should not be hauled in any van, regardless how well sealed a bulkhead may be. I hauled a load of metal parts in open metal bins that were freshly dipped in some kind of chemical. A short 200 mile run. It stunk so bad, eyes were burning, windows open in December...after I got unloaded I tried to air the van out for an hour. I literally had to wipe down the whole inside of the van, wash every article of clothing...I had a sore throat for a week. Never again. If I am offered that load ever again, I will say no to it.

Reactions: LadyJay

LadyJay

New Recruit
Driver
This is the type of lead that is being transferred and thanks again for all your help!

Attachments

• B7FA3A75-47DD-4B4A-B6A5-AD6073AC55AB.jpeg
    B7FA3A75-47DD-4B4A-B6A5-AD6073AC55AB.jpeg
    759.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.