CPM for van vs Sprinter high mileage

robh2

Veteran Expediter
I have been milling through and have a question. I saw something similar to this posted already but could not find it.

When its all said and done, what is cheaper to run over the long haul? Also considering CargoMaxx, box truck and Unicell type trucks.

Gas engines are so cheap to fix and diesels get harder and harder and more expensive every year due to emissions standards. Diesel is so expensive compared to gas also.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Robert

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have been milling through and have a question. I saw something similar to this posted already but could not find it.

When its all said and done, what is cheaper to run over the long haul? Also considering CargoMaxx, box truck and Unicell type trucks.

Gas engines are so cheap to fix and diesels get harder and harder and more expensive every year due to emissions standards. Diesel is so expensive compared to gas also.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Robert

Using the fuel price numbers at the top of the screen, you'll find gas at about 5.5% discount to diesel. I often see a 10% discount gas vs diesel, rarely more than that and sometimes less (as now), but 10% does seem to be pretty consistent.

With that said, I struggle to maintain 14mpg with my CargoMax. I hope to improve that by at least 2 mpg with some modifications, but 14 it is, at least for now. Using 14 mpg on the CargoMax and 20 mpg on the new Sprinters and using the numbers at the top of the page, you'll come with 7 cents per miles advantage to the Sprinter. That adds up over time. You may be able to gain some of that money back in maintainence costs and initial purchase cost....and again you may not. I like my gasser, but I won't be trying to argue the cost per mile argument against a sprinter unless my mileage improves quite a bit.

The pre-07 sprinters are the true winners, but their getting some age on them now. The higher fuel prices go, the more the scales tip toward the Sprinter also.

Use the search function. There are several threads discussing overal sprinter vs CV cost per mile.