Court Rules in Favor of FedEx Ground IC Classification

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The status of expediters as employees or independent contractors is a popular topic here in the Open Forum. While FedEx Ground is not FedEx Custom Critical, the ongoing debate and court challenges of a driver's status with FedEx Ground is of some interest to some if not all FDCC contractors. Here is the latest:

"MEMPHIS, Tenn. – April 21, 2009 – FedEx Ground, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp., (NYSE: FDX), won a United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit decision today that said FedEx Ground independent contractors are independent business owners – not employees -- and are outside the jurisdiction of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). This decision validates the company’s long-standing position that FedEx Ground contractors are small business owners."

Full text of the FedEx statement

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
The status of expediters as employees or independent contractors is a popular topic here in the Open Forum. While FedEx Ground is not FedEx Custom Critical, the ongoing debate and court challenges of a driver's status with FedEx Ground is of some interest to some if not all FDCC contractors. Here is the latest:

"MEMPHIS, Tenn. – April 21, 2009 – FedEx Ground, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp., (NYSE: FDX), won a United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit decision today that said FedEx Ground independent contractors are independent business owners – not employees -- and are outside the jurisdiction of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). This decision validates the company’s long-standing position that FedEx Ground contractors are small business owners."

Full text of the FedEx statement

You've been away too long Phil, this is old news

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Old news, indeed, but as far as I could tell, it was not news shared here. Since one's independent contractor status is of interest to self-employed expediters, I posted the info.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
There was a news story posted about it here on EO, but your right, no info was posted in the forums, at least i don't think there was.